Phat, er, Fat Chickens

Soujrnr

Songster
Feb 18, 2023
Kingsport, Tennessee
Hello, friends. So, I'm really confused (again...or maybe STILL). I have read some posts on chickens being overweight. I have two tubes (about 5-1/2' tall) that I had crumble in. When that ran out, I bought some 50# bags of scratch. First question is should I give them 24/7 access to the scratch, or is that considered more of a treat? Likewise, should I give them 24/7 access to the crumble (or pellets, if we got those) and just give them the 8-grain scratch as a treat a few times a week (more or less...again, not sure on that point either).

We give them greens from our garden every day, and we usually throw in fruit of various kinds, and some sunflower seeds if we have any. I am uncertain as to what kind of eating regimen I should have for them now that I've read they can get overweight. We do free-range them almost every day for an hour or two (we have to be with them due to predators) and they eat constantly during their free-ranging as well.

With all of the things I'm reading about caring for healthy chickens, caring for sick chickens, and balancing all of that, maybe I should have stuck with my rock garden. LOL

Seriously though, I covet your wisdom on this (as I have none).

Scratch is a treat, not a feed, and should be fed in moderation - 10% or less of their daily intake. The sunflower seeds as well are higher in fat.

My chickens get free access to feed during waking hours but treats are an occasional thing. For 10 birds, they usually get about 3 Tbsp total of treat mix (which I cut with feed as well so I don't feel guilty if I throw a little extra) a day, as a reward for returning to the run. Things like fruit and veggie scraps they get when I have them, which means more frequently in summer and a lot less in winter when the garden is barren.

Like @rosemarythyme said, scratch (and sunflower seeds) are treats.
Here, we give our birds a small amount of scratch every day before bed. Because it's a little harder to digest, whole seeds make them feel more full. This serves a useful purpose since they seek to fill up before roosting, so they don't get hungry in the night. On days we don't give scratch, they go to bed at the last possible moment before dark, which is a pain for me to traipse around in the dark. But on scratch days I can count on them going to bed while I still have enough light to complete evening chores.
Some people don't have that concern (confinement in secure runs / auto doors) in which case there's no need for scratch, but it can be nice to treat them.

Either way, the important part is their regular balanced feed, crumble or pellets. Most of us choose to free feed the dietary staple. They don't get fat from it.
Some people, for the sake of money, like to ration feed at a certain quantity per bird every day, but that always worries me that some won't get enough if others are greedy, and the ration should be based on individual weights and bird size rather than one-size-fits-all approaches.

The germ is taken out of the corn in scratch. Hence, no protein. I don't feed it at all. If they are allowed to free range they get much more nutrition and "treats" on their own in the form of bugs, worms, leaves, etc.

I add sunflower seeds to their feed in the winter because of the higher fat content. They need it. You could toss them some sunflower seeds as a bribe, though.

Back
Top Bottom