pheasnt brooder CUDA, SamG347, Hinkjc and all else.

ticks

Pheasant Obsessed
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
The Sticks, Vermont
I just realized I get my pheasant in 5 days but have no idea what to use for a brooder. Is there something at the hardware store or somewher that is not wal-mart. What size should I have for 25 chicks?

An over size card board box with newspaper on the bottom and folded 2 inches up the sides will do. A heat lamp suspended from ceiling can heat. It has to be suspended to give the correct temp at chick level. The birds will quickly grow big enough to jump out.

You will need to put wire on the box when this starts to happen.

This site gives a great idea for a homemade brooder using containers from Wal mart.

http://www.poultryhelp.com/brooders.html

You can purchase large plastic tubs down to most any decent sized department store fairly cheap, then get yourself a brooder light with the clamp, and you can clamp it on the side of the tub. Just get a deep one so the light won't be too close, and the birds can't jump out right off the bat. You will need to fashion a chicken wire lid or something similar fairly quick though, cause is won't be long before they can fly out. Good luck.

We use cattle water tubs for starter brooders and old metal closets for more space as they grow. For the old metal closets: take the doors off, fasten legs and lay it on its back...wahla magic brooder that's easy to clean after brooding is over. We lay old window screens over the top which works well to keep them in without injuries from flying into it. They start flying around 2 weeks old.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom