Phishing attack

Suzie

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Auvergne
I was reading a post about Mare'ks disease when suddenly the page turned to red with a warning about a phishing attack...this is not the first occasion this has happened...anyone else experiencing this ?

I was reading a post about Mare'ks disease when suddenly the page turned to red with a warning about a phishing attack...this is not the first occasion this has happened...anyone else experiencing this ?

Sounds like a phishing attack in itself, LOL!

What antimalware do you use?

What thread were you on? Or, if not this site, what site?

EDIT: well, actually, it sounds like you already have malware on your PC or phone (or tablet, or all three) so you may want to get some 'housekeeping' done ASAP.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
I was on BYC..."Not an Emergency...Mareks' In The Flock..."

I was reading through posts when suddenly the page turned red and came up with the message...I am using Google Chrome on ,my PC..it is protected against malware so hence the warning...if I backtrack i.e. arrow backwards the warning disappears... anyone else have this happen?

This problem is exclusive to my being on BYC...it never happens on any other forum.

Last edited:
What type of malware protection do you use? I'd guess it's one of BYC's ads causing the popup, but it could be something already on your computer.

I was on BYC..."Not an Emergency...Mareks' In The Flock..."

I was reading through posts when suddenly the page turned red and came up with the message...I am using Google Chrome on ,my PC..it is protected against malware so hence the warning...if I backtrack i.e. arrow backwards the warning disappears... anyone else have this happen?

This problem is exclusive to my being on BYC...it never happens on any other forum.

Most browsers are 'malware protected' but there is always new malware being made. Do you update your browser regularly?

You should never rely on just a browser's inbuilt protection though. Also, windows firewall itself a liability, it's directly targeted and lets in many problems directly. Best to use a different firewall such as one built into Malwarebytes or similar for better efficacy and safety.

I am semi-often on that thread you mention, but use Firefox now because Chrome was too dangerous, too many weaknesses.

I just tried that thread on Firefox, no warning, and just tried it on Chrome, no warning either.

X2 What Princess Amri said... Either it's on your PC, or there's a possibility your current protection is reacting to the ads BYC runs.

The fact that it warns you about a 'phishing attack' sounds suss in itself.

You can try downloading and using AdBlocker or AdBlocker Edge (both free and highly rated) to stop the ads, then see if your PC gives you a warning.

(I'm all for sites that provide value getting their revenue through ads, but the main sites I frequent have terrible ad review systems or whatever in place, and frequently show seriously dangerous ads... I had to stop the ads, no choice. My PC actually got infected on one site, so I have no tolerance for that BS anymore. It took me a while to clear it. )

If you don't have Malwarebytes and Avast, best to get them ASAP, and run them, they are free and effective, often very highly rated out of all antimalware programs, free or otherwise.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
I am convinced it is an Ad on BYC...never had this problem with any other sites...will add what you suggested chooks4life...

Thanks for your great help!

It has just appeared again...screen totally red with

Security error

Risk from phishing attack by

em.naolabo.com

I was reading one of my own old posts at the time....

Google keeps a database of web servers that get infected, and sends those warnings to any browser that tries to access them. The sites themselves could be totally legit, but were temporarily infected at one point, and just haven't cleared Google's database yet. It very well may be a sponsor ad that triggered this, but you are probably fine, because such a warning does not actually indicate that the site was trying to attack your browser (or even that it is still infected).

It has just appeared again...screen totally red with

Security error

Risk from phishing attack by

em.naolabo.com

I was reading one of my own old posts at the time....

^ This sounds exactly like the malware I got from an ad, in behavior. Never clicked on the ad either. Even trying to click out of the popup acts as an 'ok' to download the malware/adware onto your PC. There's no safe button to click with some of them except the power button or ctrl-alt-delete if that will do it. Sometimes if you touch the 'x' (close window) button or anything else, that's enabling that kind of Ad/malware.

The site/s mentioned in such popups are often not legit site names at all, it's often a cover, despite what shows in the address bar. You often can't copy it for future reference either, you draw a blank, so your best bet is to leave that window open, write down the names, and google or use another browser to search the 'site name' or address you're seeing... If you're seeing this, chances are many more are too, and many websites have free support where they can walk you through the process of rooting out the program/s responsible.

I just searched your 'em.naolabo.com' site and found threads on it where others complained about it popping up on sites like huffington post and redirecting them. Apparently it's a known Adware program.

It may be a legitimate redirector but may be being used for illegal purposes as often happens. Adware is often harmless in itself, but potentially dangerous in action, frequently helps malware gain access.

It's the sort of thing often installed as 'bloatware' on the back of legitimate programs; sometimes otherwise trustworthy sources will allow this for whatever reason (like the 'Ask' toolbar attached to so many legitimate programs)... Either way it's an inconvenience at best, a serious liability at worst. If not a threat in itself, this sort of thing often functions as a portal for other, worse programs.

Here's some info on it, and what it does, and where it may have come from:
Quote:
This one appears limited geographically, most threads on it are in something like French and it's shown as being detected only in a small geographical area.

Best wishes.

chooks4life..

Your investigation is wonderful! As you probably know I live in France....

I have noticed recently that "Huffington Post" are prevalent on MSN...only recently heard of them...

I will deter from reading their posts in the future...

I will admit to having eaten snails here...despite my reservations...they have the texture of mushrooms and taste of nothing but garlic and parsley....I have not succumbed to eating frogs legs..that would be the ultimate deterrent to me...poor frogs! I have many frogs living here and love them..they are usually green and yellow in colour and are so cute!

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom