Photo blog on how to process :)

booker81

Redneck Tech Girl
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Mid-MI
I'm going to try to put this here on my page for BYC, but it's a lot of pics and a bit of time for getting it all formatted and order, so I figured I'd just post the link to my blog
smile.png
These were done last week, and my brother took pictures. Finally weighed the frozen birds and came up with 5lbs+ for them, woo!

How to process chickens at home

This is excellent! Our meaties arrive at the end of May, I will be using this post come processing time.
Thank you very much for this post.

Wow! Great picture reference!

I will definitely be referencing this in a few weeks time when I process my first batch of meaties!

Thank you for sharing!

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
This was really awesome, thank you...

I just posted asking people to help me convince the guys to do meat birds..but the issue is..it is no where near the cost of going to the store. Rising costs = water and feed prices. While I get the desire to raise our own so we know what is in it...when I buy chicken for 99¢ a lb which means I am buying a whole chicken for under $5 usually, the cost to buy the birds, feed them, water them, etc...is almost $10 per bird..or am I missing something?

From what I can find..small quantity of meat birds in the 2 dozen range is $2 per bird plus shipping...I know Meyers charges $20 = $70, you said 200lb of feed x 2 = 400lb = 80 bags of feed at basically $20 each = $160, plus the additional water..let's be cautious and say $25 in water..so now we have $160 plus $70 plus $25 = $255 for 25 birds..over $10 per bird
sad.png

I am open there are options to feeding meat birds more economical feed..ESPECIALLY since all the feeds here that aren't over $1 per lb, have soy and are not organic anyway.

I was wondering the same thing, GiddyMoon, after reading through your thread and the replies. Maybe meat birds aren't worth my money and I'll just enjoy the occasional cull bird... ? Either way, still good to know how to do it I think.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom