**PIC** fowl pox? Please share your input...

dixiechick

Songster
11 Years
Jul 17, 2008
North Central Florida
This is my best girl, Priscilla. We noticed this coming on 10 days ago. She has been blinded by huge, thick scabs for a week now....what is this? Fowl Pox? How much longer? What else can I do?

She has been inside the house for over a week. She has an increasing appetite (we have to hand-feed/water), she preens well and shows no sign of weakness....even poops regularly.

Anything you can advise would greatly be appreciated.

Left side
IMG_2274.jpg

Right side
IMG_2275.jpg

The camera is focused on the grass so it's kinda hard to see the chicken. But it seems to be fowl pox by what little bit I can see. It has to run its course, so it can vary depending on how bad she has them. Once they crust over they will dry up and fall off. Just make sure she doesn't have them in her mouth or throat.

Sorry about the pics...best I could do. Have you experienced these before? If so, how much longer till they fall off?

Doesn't seem to have them in her throat at this time. Maybe earlier because all she could tolerate was cold soup...but now she can eat a mush of her feed and water.

Yes, this is pox and quite a bad case of it I'm sorry to say. Ouch.

On the scabs that aren't on the eyelids, you can dot them with iodine - that helps reduce the chances of secondary infection. On the eye ones, slather then with neosporin. It can go on for four weeks but you want to make good and sure that she's still eating as much of poultry's eating habits are visually driven. Is she eating ok?

I'd also use a little bit of cod liver oil capsule (2 drops from a slit one, twice weekly) in her mushy feed. The vitamin A will help her eyes under there and all her mucus membranes. polyvisol vitamins without iron, 3 drops daily, will also help.

Not to hijack this thread but I have a silly question..... does this virus affect the eggs ..... I mean if your flock gets this disease do you continue to use the eggs or do you dispose of them.

That looks like Coryza to me. I probably spelled it wrong.
Use a treatment called Terramycin for eyes.
And use warm water on a soft cloth a few times a day to clean it and loosen the gunk.
keep her separated, as that is contagious.
make sure she stays dehydrated, you most likely will have to use a syringe for water and moisten food.

Good luck, i hope she gets better.

Last edited:
Quote:
Coryza isn't a virus, it's bacterial. I personally never use the eggs from sick birds, never from medicated birds either. Not even for feeding back.

Back
Top Bottom