Pick me a town!

You guys are the best!

The last few months I've really felt horrible about everything. I'm finally feeling like I'll 'make it' through the divorce but had no idea where I'd go. Hence the idea that if I have to move off the land I turned into a farm, (he travels 80% of the time so I did all the farm work) I was going far. Can you believe.....he's never even fed my birds once but he's picking and choosing which ones he wants to keep?
somad.gif

Anyway, looking at a map and trying to guess where I can find a good town that allows chickens, was entirely too overwhelming! I simply can't believe how all of you have welcomed me! How many have posted about your hometowns, how many areas there are for me to chose from! Thank you all so much for giving me an awesome starting point and so many online resources to research the places. I've made a list and am comparing weather and cost of living, unemployment rates, schools etc. I'm hoping to take a trip next month to scout an area or 2.

I feel very hopeful since posting here. Thanks again!

Last edited:
If I had to name a local town that would be the top of my list if I ever moved it would be Bryant Al . There is actually no city there just farms. Its on Sand Mtn, a 2000 foot Plateau overlooking the Tennessee river. Its right on the border of Tn(sales tax free holidays) an Ga(low fuel tax). It has some of the lowest land costs an taxes in the US. Wal-mart is 15 minutes away. Mostly use Ga an Tn's nice road network but only paying Al's low land taxes. The Scenic City, Chattanooga with all of its attractions an the new VW plant is 30 minutes. Birmingham, Nashville an Atlanta are all around 2 hours away. Just a all around great place to be. I keep finding local BYCers close too.

Last edited:
Quote:
If you believe there is no comparisim, between our counties.....why in the world would you assume anything about our part of the country, that you obviously know nothing about? You have made a number of assumptions that are totally incorrect and for the most part called us a bunch of idiots for loving our very rural lifestyle. You do not have to be condisending just because you preferr a more populated area to live in. It is impossible to get a feel for a place by strickly observing statistic that you find over the internet.
So far, you have insulted people that live in trailers, our school systems, and the intellegence of those of us that live here. I am certainly glad you are not my neighbour, I learned at a very young age not to judge people by the clothes they wear or what type of home they live in, I think maybe you need to learn that as well.

Last edited:
Quote:
If you believe there is no comparisim, between our counties.....why in the world would you assume anything about our part of the country, that you obviously know nothing about? You have made a number of assumptions that are totally incorrect and for the most part called us a bunch of idiots for loving our very rural lifestyle. You do not have to be condisending just because you preferr a more populated area to live in. It is impossible to get a feel for a place by strickly observing statistic that you find over the internet.
So far, you have put down people that live in trailers, our school systems, and the intellegence of those of us that live here. I am certainly glad you are not my neighbour, I learned at a very young age not to judge people by the clothes they wear or what type of home they live in, I think maybe you need to learn that as well.

Amen! Why is it that you are always able to take my exact thoughts and put them in to words? When I try that it comes across very *itchy! You can get your point across with out causing a ruckus. Very well said!

Quote:
So far, you have put down people that live in trailers, our school systems, and the intellegence of those of us that live here. I am certainly glad you are not my neighbour, I learned at a very young age not to judge people by the clothes they wear or what type of home they live in, I think maybe you need to learn that as well.

Preach it!

One of the smartest and kindest persons I have ever known lived in a travel trailer in the mountains. No running water, no fancy SUV... he even had a rope for a belt. But you know what? He was 100Xs smarter than just about anyone. He read and read and read. He LISTENED when people spoke and didn't worry about what society thought.

Personally, I lived in the city (and I mean THE CITY ... not some sudo city) and I have lived in the sticks. Guess where I bought my first home? THE STICKS! And guess where I never would want to live... anywhere near any big town or city. I was offended too. Just wanted to express that.
wink.png

Oh, and I got one of those rural educations.... I'm not a bragger, but I bet my IQ is higher than most... that's why it's called "above average". There are these things called "books" and you can learn things from them when you read them. It's amazing! And you can get them even when you are not in school!!!! CRAZY!!!
tongue.png

Quote:
true florida is nice if you like the hot weather and hurricanes and have to move out every time one comes near your house insurance are very high and bervard county do not like chicken people.
laura

Sorry to hear about the divorce.

I'm originally from PA as well, but have spent my adult life in NC.
Very pretty here. The foothills an mountains are a lot like PA farmland - but warmer here. We have a 7 month growing season!

Best wishes

Back
Top Bottom