Pics and build of our family project!!!

stubbie1111

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2016
Hey everyone,
We are Brand New to BYC and wanted to share some pics of our chicken coop build which is currently our family project. My wife and kids are Sooooo excited and we can't wait to finish it up to give some birds a new home and put them to work helping provide our family with some nutritious eggs. I'm sure I will have a TON of questions on tons of different subjects from predators to mites, to how many chickens I should get...... Any and All input would be Greatly appreciated. I will continue to add pictures as the build goes along.......Please take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think.

Kevin

OK Everyone....... Here we go..... got the painting of the coop all done and here are a few more pics of the chickens. What do you all think?

Kevin,

You have this ALL wrong. You are supposed to buy the chicks and imprison them and yourself in your house for months on end because it's taking forever to get their coop done because you didn't consider that they would ever get any bigger than when you first bought the little fuzz balls. :D

Seriously, nice work and nice pre-planning on building first and then buying the chicks!! Some important factors to consider and to plan for are things such as plenty of permanent ventilation, windows, storage for feed and such. I'm assuming that part of the structure will be the coop and part will be the run? It's also helpful to put your general location in your profile so we know your climate. Keep having fun with it!!

I love the look of your coop and how it is a family affair. I just want to say before you get too far along that you might want to think about using hardware cloth instead of chicken wire on your run. Chicken wire keeps chickens in but not predators out. They can go right through it. I would hate for all your hard work and your chickens to be destroyed with one visit from a raccoon or some such.
Thanks for the info..... We actually bought some heaver 14 gauge welded wire fencing that is 3 feet tall that we were going to put along the bottom as well for two layers of protection. Do you think that would work ok?

Ok.....Ok.... I know it's been awhile.... But here is the latest update..... 10 hours of work on it today..... almost done.... just need to add a finished door into the run (just need hinges), another small door for the chickens, the nesting boxes in the coop, the roost in the coop, bricks around the outside of the coop for protection and finally paint.... whooooh... what a job!!! Let me know what you think..... I'm tired just thinking of all the stuff left to do!!!! :)

Thanks guys and gals...... wife just got home with supplies to finish it with..... paint too.... She's a keeper!!! :)

Well Thank God we made it through Hurricane Matthew with little to No damage to our home and property, and if you don't mind, I'd like to toot a horn here for my family as the chicken coop we just built is still standing tall and proud.... Thank you Lord!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom