*pics* Blood? Cocci? In broody girl's poop!

chickstagram

In the Brooder
Dec 31, 2019
Paradise, NV
Hello fam.

Polly, our 1.5 year old **very broody** Buff Orpington laid some disturbing poops today. After quite a bit of reading, I'm not sure if it's coccidiosis, intestinal shedding, or something worse! We love this little woman, I don't want anything bad to happen to her.

Here are a few notes about our environment:
  • We're in Las Vegas NV. May. Hottest temps this week are about 36C/97F.
  • We have a xeriscape of sandstone rocks. Very scant green to forage.
  • 3 more chickens. No signs of bloody stool from them.
  • Freakin' pigeons! I have some windmills to scare them away, and use big pellets for food, but these freakin' pigeons love our little henny paradise! Go away, you little grey nuisances!
    • There was one injured pigeon about 3-4 weeks ago who couldn't fly, and wobbled around our backyard for half a day pooping bloody berry-coloured poops until we finally caught her and sent her away.
Notes about Polly:
  • Polly is BROODY AF right now. She burrowed a remote corner in our yard underneath a heap of dried brush. To the hand, it's really hot and stagnant out there. I check her a few times a day, and fortunately she seems FEISTY. She fluffs up and yells at us to leave her alone
  • Very sassy personality. She's got a lot of spark. She's still her sassy self right now. No obvious fatigue.
  • Again, she's broody right now. She's been broody for about 3 days. I haven't seen her leave the nest until today when I discovered her stool. (She sneaked into my house when I left my door open and shat on the tile.)
  • Not eating well . She's kind of peckish around the food. She didn't cut the line and act like the pristine queen of chicken women.
  • Dehydrated! Once I filled the water bowl, she couldn't get enough! Granted, I live in the Mojave Desert, where even your eyeballs start to desiccate. That said, her waddles and comb didn't look too chapped/dehydrated.
What I've done so far:
  • Dosed their water with CORID: 2tsp/gal.
  • Made them high protein feed in the blender: chopped up hamburger, spirulina, eggs, reishi, desiccated beef liver, turmeric, gelatin, quinoa, chia seed, blended with a few tablespoons omega 3 oil.

Let's take a lookie at her poo:

Poo 1.png

Oh, and there's this weird gelatinous blob on her egg:

Weird gelatinous blob.png

This is the consistency of the ?blood? poo:

What do you think, fam?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Broody hens do not eat or drink very well.
Is she sitting on fertile eggs? If she's not, then I would break her.

If you're wanting her to hatch eggs, then make food/water available close by, they don't like to go far from the nest.
The poop - broody poo can be terrible! The blood is a bit concerning. If you can take a sample to your vet to check for worms that would be a good idea. The Corid won't hurt her.

Back
Top Bottom