Pics of My Gals

Quote:
Mama came from Cheryl Butler, she lives in Bothell, and she has some Holderreads blood and she really didn't go into what they were mixed with.

I also have some Metzer blood there, but very little now. Then there are the two new babies I won on eggbid with Overton lines. They are coming along nicely.

And, I have one male from the Foley's.

I am hoping to get a smooth breasted as I got several birds with angel wing/curled wing tips this year.

The thing they chewed up was a little backdrop for our sprinkler so it wouldn't get the sidewalk and house wet. It's pretty much "toast" now.

I'm not sure how well or how consistant using the smoothies to improve wings is going to work.
I bred one of my girls with perfect wings to my smoothie gander and one of her kids has twisted tips already.
Typically I don't see that until they are 2-3 yrs. old.
Also I have a twisted tip pair and 2 of their daughters have perfect wings at age 3....so go figure.
I really don't think it can be eliminated due to the Sebs feather mutation being what it is.
Most will get twisted tips by the time they are 3 years old from what I've been told by a long time Sebs breeder.

Mama's eldest has a little twist this year on the right hand side and she was perfect last year.....
sad.png

I don't breed the smooth breasted. Breeding curly to curly gives me 100% curly.....just cull out the ones with angel wing. Why would I want 50/50 curly and smooth? just more to cull.

Mrs. T.
Granted using smooth breasted Sebastopols is a lesser known breeding practice here in the U.S. but
in Europe they recognize both smooth and curly breasted varieties in the breed standard and supposedly breeding smooth x curly reduces twisted wing tips.
To clarify, "twisted wing tip" is totally different than angel wing.
Most Sebastopols will developed TWT by the time they are 3 yrs. old.
I was totally opposed to using smooth breasted Sebs until I saw what gorgeous SQ curlies a friend was getting out of smooth x curly and thought it was worth trying if it might help reduce TWT.

Last edited:
Quote:
I stayed out of this debate until now.....
the top breeders I talk to laughed when I told them about breeding smooth to curly.
Who is getting the SQ birds out of the smooth/curl breeding?

The smooth breasted geese almost always have nicer feathers and don't normally get the wing problems like the curly breasted......but if you show the geese what are you going to do with a bunch of smooth breasted geese?

The fact is when breeding Sebs you will get angel wing and you will get twisted wing tip.....it comes with the breed..... That is what you cull for.
I kept a total of 13 goslings at one point from this breeding season. I did get 1 twisted wing tip and 1 angel wing from a flock of curly breasted breeders. Not bad in my opinion. So if I would have paired up smooth and curly breeders I would have culled 50% of the goslings just because they are smooth breasted. Instead I have 11 goslings to choose from that are curly and free of wing defects. Just my opinion.

Mrs. T.
I will email you pics today of my friends curly whites out of a smooth saddleback Sebastopol female.
I don't feel comfortable posting other peoples pic on a public forum without their permission.

What do you do with all the smooths?
They can be used for breeding stock and pets.
As for me, I have no strong opinion either way...
its just an experiment to see if this can help reduce wing disorders and one I'm only doing with my colored stock not my whites.
I don't think you can cull it out due to to Sebs curly feather mutation most likely being the under lying cause of the wing disorders.
Thats just a hunch of mine but I could be wrong.
Also how do you explain the European standard allowing for smooth breasted in the breed?
There must be a reason for it.

Quote:
I breed curly to curly so I don't get any smooth breasted. I have picked up goslings here and there from other breeders and have to cull the smooth breasted out of my flock.

I agree you can't completely cull out the angel wing because it will happen regardless.

From my understanding the Europeans like the smooth breasted sebs so why would they only breed curly to curly. I never get email from people asking for smooth breasted sebs...they all want the curly ones.

This topic is just like "high protein causes angel wing" not everyone will agree.....just do what works for you I guess.

Back
Top Bottom