Pictures of Pheasant Housing/Run

I have just finished my first two aviaries
each one is 2mtr wide and 4 mtr deep
Took longer than i thought but now for the next ones ,But dont tell the wife!!!!
in the pictures are my Incubators 2 homemade and the blue one is a 12 year old Russian one
The chicks i have hatched are Gambel quail,lady amerhurst pheasant ,golden pheasant and guinea fowl and some chickens for my neighbor
Good fun

Click on the link
http://picasaweb.google.com/chrisarvor/20040203#5478174654300473922

Just had a look at your set up(s).

Intersting designs and well made !
Good to see you have added "furnitures" to each area !

You will want to add more brooders though. Having Quail in the the other species may end up causing big troubles.

bloody hell Reeves you must have Jinxed me????

I have just come home to see the Guinea fowl pecking a baby quail to death and two other 2 day old in a bad ole state
So i have put the guineas in a seperate brooder
Thanks for the advice:rolleyes:
Cheers Chris

what does everyone recommend for substrate/bedding...i built my new one today and it had to be in an area that refuses to grow grass....

Quote:
I've had to do that before.
I put down 2" to 4" of good quality top soil (50% black top soil, 25% sand and 25% peat moss).
Over this I put sod (from a sod farm).
Keep watered so it takes faster.
If birds are already in the aviary, they'll likely pick/dig along the seams.

Couple other options are sand or pea gravel.

Depends on what species will be in it.

Quote:
Very rarely will you see mixed species get along. Young or old.

Different age Bobwhites are the worst I've seen.

pea gravel sounds like a nifty substrate....id like to hear about others experiences using this
they are ringneck pheasants btw

here is mine...i wanted to go bigger but it was all i could afford for a couple weeks and its WAY better then the previous enclosure and im wanting to do alot more with the outside of the enclosure
big_smile.png
i am currently using LOTS of dead leaves as a substrate
Picture078.jpg

"stuck in the city" the trees that look like Christmas trees are hemlock branches that I swtich out every month or so when the needles drop off...

"sgt dane" wow, those pictures of yours look so similar to my pens...using the natural trees is really fun and gives plenty of shade...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom