Pig Slaughtering, Scalding and Butchering Course 1-Day...WARNING!

annaraven

Born this way
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
SillyCon Valley
WARNING:
IF you’re SQUEAMISH…DO NOT TAKE THIS CLASS! DO NOT READ THIS POST.

IF you’re SQUEAMISH…DO NOT TAKE THIS CLASS! DO NOT READ THIS POST.
This is the REAL THING…this isn’t a cold piece of meat on a slab…there WILL BE SQUEALING and the flesh being butchered will still be warm---IF you’re SQUEAMISH…DO NOT TAKE THIS CLASS! DO NOT READ THIS POST.

If you want to GET OVER YOUR SQUEAMISHNESS and collect an honest understanding of how your meat gets to your table, and learn how to make sure you get a properly slaughtered and butchered pig on your plate, then DEFINITELY take this course!

If you're a recovering vegetarian or vegan, who just wouldn't feel right eating meat without TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR GETTING THAT MEAT ON THE TABLE and doing it WITH RESPECT TO THE ANIMAL, this is your chance...

I’m offering a 1-day course on slaughtering and butchering livestock (a pig): from kill to quality cuts wrapped in butcher paper!

I’ve contacted a Half Moon Bay, CA area pig farmer who’ll provide the site, pig and equipment on his ranch for us to slaughter a pig, scald and scrape the pig of its fur, prepare major cuts, and then fine quality servings cuts, ending with proper packaging for long term storage.

This will be a pig in the 100 to 150-pound range.

What you’ll get out of the training:

· How to slaughter a pig, sheep, cow or goat with a .22 rifle or pistol, sledgehammer, or knife...and properly finish off a game animal that you may have performed a poor shot on...

· How to immediately bleed the animal for making blood sausage and pudding

· How to scald and scrape the fur off a pig:you didn’t think those bacon and legs of ham you get from the Safeway came off a hairless pig, did you?
wink.png

· How to eviscerate the pig and retain its offal: making sure to not contaminate any meat with urine, bile, or feces

· How to clean out the intestines and stomach for sausage-making

· How to prepare prosciutto and Serrano ham

· How to prepare a ribrack (makes a great sausage stuffed dish), boneless roast, and Boston butt

· How to prepare a baby back ribs cut

· How to prepare porkchops

· How to make headcheese

· How to make Irish crubeens and crispy-skinned pork roast

· How to butcher a pig for ALL French, American, British or Italian cuts

· How to properly package meat cuts

· How to totally use your livestock or game and WASTE NOTHING!

What to bring:

1. Waterproof knee-high rubber boots and dish washing gloves if you want to get a hands on experience

2. Snacks and lunch

3. Drinking water

4. Notebook/pen

5. Digital camera

6. Clothing for temperatures between 45 and 70 degrees, with possible light rain/drizzle

Your Instructor:

Presently, I’m working on a first spy thriller, and my second memoir about living as a subsistence hunter, angler and gatherer in a remote area of the Alaska Peninsula during the early 1990s. My first memoir, The Bamboo Chest, was a #2 Top Seller at Amazon.com on its release in 2004 and is being negotiated for a film option. I’ve been hunting in California and the American West since my early teen years, starting in 1980, after having been raised in Southeast Asia as an American expat...probably like you, I wasn't born hunting or from a major died-in-the-wool hunting family. During the Central America War of 1980s I was a paramilitary officer, starting as a combat medic and ending as a platoon leader: I’m the second American to complete the Salvadoran Navy SEAL course taught by the US Navy SEALs, and the first American to complete the CEMFA Sniper Course taught by US Army Special Forces advisory group in El Salvador.

More information on my field experience can be found at the San Francisco Chronicle, and two advertising-driven multi-media magazines I publish:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/01/20/SPGELAT4U...
http://corksoutdoors.com/blog/about/
http://globalcounterterror.com/?page_id=2

Course Schedule:

We meet at the ranch by 8 a.m. Do an hour-long course on procedures and a run through, and then get to work…depending on the number of people, done by about 2-3 p.m.

NOTE: If you don't have transportation, and live, or can get to a train/BART station, in SF, or on the SF Peninsula, I can carry 3-4 passengers in my Dodge Ram.

Total course cost: $260 per person, NO LESS than 4 students, NO MORE than 10 STUDENTS students per course.

The course will only be offered until my departure for Southern California in May, and on schedule availability: my weekend openings are dwindling with all the other courses...the quicker you sign up the better! Since I work for myself as a writer, I am also open to doing the course on a week day depending on the minimum of four and coordinating the day...FEEL FREE to pass this email onto friends who you think might be interested in such are course, but aren't on the BMHS list.

As we’re already into February, feel free to contact me direct at my email:
[email protected] with the subject heading “BHMS Pig Slaughtering, Scalding and Butchering Course”.

Best Regards,
Cork

Back
Top Bottom