Pig that doesn’t like getting wet?

SillyAnneh

Hatching
Jun 23, 2017
Hey all!

So I recently become a foster parent to a pot belly pig. The home this pig came from was...let’s say less than great, and this pig has bad skin, and dirt caked all over him. He’s very dried out, and you can tell he needs some serious moisture.

Now, every other pig I’ve had in the past LOVED getting sprayed with a hose, and wallering in puddles. This pig refuses to get wet. He won’t get in the kiddie pool, and he runs away from the hose and sprinklers.

I really want to get all the caked-on dirt off him, and I feel like he would really benefit from a good hose down. Should I force it? Or just let him be, and hope his new veggie-rich diet helps with his skin?

Just my opinion. I've raised a lot of hogs but my experience with potbellies is limited. If it were me, I'd take some warm water, soap, and a scrub brush to him. Pigs don't have much in the way of handles but a nose snare will control them so they can be worked on. A snare won't hurt them but whenever a pig is confined against its will they react by screaming bloody murder. That is what pigs do. I haven't looked but I think you can find how to use a nose snare on pigs on YouTube. You can find everything else there. After you get him clean, his skin might benefit from an application of some sort of oil. Again I think you can find what kind to use someplace on the internet.

I didn't mention that the bad skin could also be caused by mange, parasites, or a fungal infection in addition to a bad diet. You won't know unless and until you get him clean.

Maybe a good brushing to get most the dirt off and then brush in some baby oil to get some moisture in his skin? You just might have to slowly work him up to the bathing. I had pigs that loved getting washed and others climb over a 3 ft fence to get out! Not PB of course. I wonder if you rubbed him down with DE if that might help with any critters that might be on him. Have you found any treat he might like?

My pot belly has gotten sunburned before and that let to some scaley dried out skin. I scrub her down with warm water and soap, then apply coconut oil allllllll over her.

Now that she's older she doesn't tolerate it as much so I have to corner her and give her treats throughout the whole ordeal.

If you have a large wire kennel- maybe lure him in there and then wash him through the crate. Since you're fostering him, I wouldn't do any of this until he has bonded with you and gotten settled in. Would be a shame to scare him more if he is already spooked from the big adjustments going on.

Back
Top Bottom