Pigeon's foot injured. Sprained?

Kalyka

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2015
I've been on a trip for a while and when I came back my hen who has been sitting on eggs for a week now was limping around on one foot. It doesn't seem to be broken, all the toes are pointing the right way, it's not swollen, and is the same temperature as the other one, but it does have a thin stripe of purpley-blue (blood?) running down it that wasn't there before I think.

She is able to use it, though, because when she flies around she uses it to land, but rather awkwardly and as soon as possible pulls it back in. The other cock in the pen besides her mate is bullying her while her the mate is sitting on the eggs. She can get away into the small cage where the nest and some food and water are, but if she wants to sunbath or swim, he attacks her.

Any idea what could be wrong? I'm going to ask the people who were sitting them if maybe they accidentally shut the door on her foot or something. Maybe a pulled muscle?

Today she seems to be doing better, putting more weight on it, but she walks on the side of that foot with it partially curled up like you do when you've broken a toe. I don't suppose there's anything you can do for a broken toe but I just hope it will heal right, and she won't be walking strangely for the rest of her life.

Back
Top Bottom