Pigeons....

Thanks a bunch Chickerdoodle!! I'll try some pellets mixed with seed to see how they do. It sure would make it simpler if they would eat the pellets instead of having to get crumbles just for them. But, I would be willing to do it if that is what it takes to get them to eat the layer feed.

Quote:
IDK for sure why either. I do know this... and kind of hessitate to say it.... but here goes. Of the so called "Pigeon Fanciers" that I have spoken with, there seems to be a large number that are.... well... kind of.... well.......... snooty!! (I told you I hated to say it!!) So, it might just be an engrained pride thing! You know.... "Pigeons are so special that they are too good to eat chicken feed," kind of thing!! Know what I mean??

Thanks again for the input. And, thanks for offering to allow me to "pick" your brain!!

Robert

LOL, no problem! I love talking about my birds! There's not many on this site who have pigeons either, so I am more than willing to share my knowledge! I had someone do the same for me when I started out.

I know what you mean about the snootiness though! I've seen it with all kinds of poultry, but haven't seen it too much on BYC. That's why I love this place so much! A lot of the pigeon people do it just for the money, or for racing, etc. Not many do it just for fun, so it's hard to find info that isn't for racers or large scale breeders.

Oh, you can also use little baskets and large bowls for them to nest in. It's cheaper than getting boxes. It's so much fun to let them breed and see the babies grow up!

Here I go again.... picking your brain!!

Quote:
What size bowls do they need to be (approx. diameter and height). Do they need to be placed inside some kind of nest box?? Should they have a covering over them.... to make them feel like they are hiding??

Thanks again!! Oh, if I start bugging you, please let me know!!

Robert

Nope, you are not bugging me! I have finished classes for the weeke, so I have some free time (Which is unusual!)

Typically, you would want to place the nest bowls in some type of housing. Like the little coop or what ever you have. However, if your set up doesn't allow for the bowls to be placed inside, you could always make wooden nest boxes to hang around in the actual pen part. You will just have to make them light enough so that they won't fall! When I keep pigeons in a coop attached to a pen, I usually put the nesting bowls right on the ground away from the perches so they don't get pooped on. My friend, however, keeps her nesting boxes both outside and on the inside wall of the coop.

Oh and the bowls just have to be big enough for the pigeon to comfortably sit in the center of them. I usually use the cheap plastic ones you can buy cheap from the feed store.

Back
Top Bottom