Pine shavings in the water!

chickieschicks

Chirping
Mar 12, 2017
Long Island, New York
What are everyone's recommendations for best waterers? I'm about to lose my mind over the number of times I refill my chick's water every day bc of the amount of pine shavings it gets caked with. And I'm starting to be concerned they may not be getting enough water because of it. I'm thinking of possibly switching to sand in the brooder. I've only got 4 chicks and they're about 3 1/2 weeks old.

What are everyone's recommendations for best waterers? I'm about to lose my mind over the number of times I refill my chick's water every day bc of the amount of pine shavings it gets caked with. And I'm starting to be concerned they may not be getting enough water because of it. I'm thinking of possibly switching to sand in the brooder. I've only got 4 chicks and they're about 3 1/2 weeks old.

Do you raise your waterers up on top of a 2" tall brick or block of wood?? Seems to about solve the problem.

We have raised ours and doesn't seem to matter. The best luck we've had has been hanging them and going to eventually switch to nipples or cups

Chicken nipples are the best solution. No dirty stuff in the water nor wasted water when the chickens "feel like playing"

Can anyone post a link for a nipple waterer that would work in the brooder? All of the ones I've seen are attached to either a very large water container or some kind of large configuration for a coop. But I'm new to this so I probably just dont know what Im looking for. Thanks in advance!

Can anyone post a link for a nipple waterer that would work in the brooder? All of the ones I've seen are attached to either a very large water container or some kind of large configuration for a coop. But I'm new to this so I probably just dont know what Im looking for. Thanks in advance!

Best thing I did with my chicks this year was to switch to the use of nipples. It is so much more convenient and way cleaner than dealing with constant shavings and poo in the water. Most feed stores (FFH, TSC, etc.) carry chicken nipples. I ended up just putting them into the bottom of an empty milk jug and then suspended the milk jug from a 2"X4" over the brooder. If you need something smaller you can always turn a sports drink bottle upside down and put the nipple through the cap.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom