Pine straw in nest boxes? As litter? In the run?

Do I put the pine straw (pine needles as we call them in Aus) in the coop/run green, or do I have to dry them out first?

I would assume dry since you don't want to harbor mold in layers that aren't getting air... But I'm not sure!
The trees here in the south are nothing like what I grew up with in New England! The pine straw needles are 6-12" each and just builds up all year in a thick blanket in your yard. Good thing it can be used instead of mulch! A lot of professional landscapers use it and you see it everywhere around here. Not sure if it is the same down under!
I was actually going to start a thread asking for btdt opinions on pine straw, so I hope some more people chime in! I only want to be buying feed for my chickens and without deciduous trees (or any trees, actually) in my yard pine straw would be ideal (and free from my in laws).

This is Classic "pine straw"

If using pine straw.run the lawn mower over it and shred it up. It is much better in the boxes this way. When time to clean the boxes,mix in some ckn. Doo.and put in compost bin for a few months. If you shred it up it can be used as deep litter,and then cleaned out,less time to sit in compost pile if u do it this way. You need to clean it out sooner than shavings to avoid mold. Don't get it wet in the coop. I'm

We have a ton of pine trees on our property. Pine straw is abundant everywhere you look. After doing a search on the merits of various nest box liners I saw someone state thar pine straw was the best thing they'd found for it. Does anyone else have experience using pine straw in nest boxes?...
it's FREE!
wee.gif

Pine straw is fine for use in your nest but it can deteriorate too quickly if your hens get to scratch in it all the time. BWTH, It's FREE!

Even if it's not ideal... it's FREE!
I line my nest boxes with the folded empty nylon mesh feed bags. When a bag gets soiled pop out the soiled and pop in another. Poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off when left out in the sun to bake and dry. It is the best method I have stumbled upon in my 67 trips around the sun. Oh remove the excess string from the open end of the bag it can get tangled in your birds legs and wings. Easy Peasy Japaneasy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom