Pinioned vs. Nonpinioned

Steven Seitz

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 18, 2014
Will pinioned Wood ducks still breed? I have some on my pond and I was wondering since they can not fly is there any particular way I should set up a nest box for them to be able to lay eggs?

They'll breed, but obviously they can't get up into their high nesting boxes that they prefer to be in. So they'll do the deed, but I wouldn't know if they'd lay or not. They may not brood since, again, can't get up into the high places they prefer to roost. This is part of why I'm against pinioning. Not trying to lambast you or anything of the sort, I just...kinda feel bad for the duckies :/

If you don't put them up and leave them out on the pond, while not feeding them or anything, thats alot like leaving them to die, they cant defend themselves by flying away.
But yes they will breed and she might lay on the ground, but that leaves the predators to easily get her.

Last edited:
I do echo the rest, i see these are true "sitting ducks" personally i wouldn't risk it.. a nesting duck is highly vulnerable even if they are capable of flight. I would suggest if you want to breed and they are incapable of any flight to remove them to a safe area to reproduce.

Back
Top Bottom