pink egg laying EE?

A pink egg is really a pinkish brown egg. I've had an EE/BR cross pullet that laid a pinky colored egg with lavender speckles, but her sister laid a yellowish-beige egg. Same parents. No one can claim they sell only pink egg laying EE's. The mixed parentage negates any reliability in predicting the egg color, IMO. I have a Barred Easter Egger. Her mama is a blue Ameraucana and her dad a BR. She lays a green egg. All of my Barred EEs should lay green eggs. Blue+ Brown= Green. Any hen will lay the same color egg every time, but it may be lighter on occasion or near molt. Not sure I've answered the question you posed, though.

Quote:
I don't know why but this just came to my email. That could be one reason.

Hopefully your question has been answered by now. SpeckledHen is correct. There is no predicting with reliability what an EE will lay because in most cases there is no knowing what the genetic make up is of the EE.

Also, while I can't remember exactly what it's called, my poor current and failing all the time memory, brings to mind some sort of chart that we had in high school that showed how two blue-eyed parents could wind up with brown or green eyes and how two black-haired parents could wind up with brown, blond, and red-headed kids.

If I had only known back then in Biology Class that I'd need it today for chickens, I would have paid more attention!

God Bless,

I think 'lavender' is just a shade of brown with a coat of calcification covering the egg.

If you wash the 'pink' or 'lavender' eggs you will most likely find out that the eggs are really just brown eggs. Removing the calcification will allow the true shade of brown to show through.

I am so hoping for a pink egg layer. I have 5 EE pullets and cant wait to see what color their eggs are. That is an awesome pink egg. Lucky Duck
yippiechickie.gif

I also have a bird that lays a pink egg. I suspect, but am not sure, that it's a Speckled Sussex. I do know that it is NOT an EE, since I only have 5 of them and I get 5 blue and green eggs some days. It could be any of the hens in my sig line except the Ameraucanas and the EEs.

I also have a hatchery Delaware that I know lays a brown egg that gets a pink/lavender coating over the top. It does not rub off.

I think getting pink egg layers is the result of dumb luck. But the eggs look cool in the carton!

Blue and White are the underlying basic egg colors. Blue is dominant over white. Possible gene combinations are:

Blue and Blue - blue egg
Blue and White - blue egg
White and White - white egg

If my memory is correct there are 13 or more genes involved with brown (pink) egg color. A white egg with brown genes involved results in some shade or variation of brown. A blue egg with the same brown genes wil be shade or variation of green.

If you want more chickens with that particular egg color you can breed it to a male from a breed with a similar egg color, then breed it back to the offspring.

Last edited:
My silkie lays a very lightly tinted egg which looks pinkish in certain light. Her eggs are very pretty, small, perfectly oval, pinkish and high gloss.

I wonder what an EE/silkie cross would produce for egg color? Probably not pink, but maybe a higher gloss greenish egg.

Anyone have silkie/Ameracuana crosses or silkie/EE?

Back
Top Bottom