pipped on wrong end?

crazychic

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 6, 2007
One of my peeps has pipped on the opposite end of the air cell? Is it doomed?
sad.png

Pipped as in has it's beak through the shell? If so, it should be able to breath and hatch ok. If it's internally pipped, as through the membrane but not the shell, it will suffocate. Hopefully others will come on here quickly with more experience in this area. Good Luck!

The shell has a hole in it, but the membrane looks to be intact . Is it okay? Should I risk puncturing the membrane?

Is the chick peeping? Is it giving you any reason to think it's still alive? If not, bump the bator a time or two to see if you get a response. Either way, I'd take something tiny and break the membrane at it's beak so it can breath, but I wouldn't go any further at this time. AND BE SURE whatever you use does not go inside but only, only, only cuts the membrane. Good luck!

FEEL LIKE A HERO? Yay!!!!!!!!! The membrane was already sliced- the chick is alive a peeping softly... THANKS!!
lol.png

ya.gif
That's wonderful!! I'm so glad it worked out. Now keep an eye on it as lots of us seem to be having problems with dry membranes and even after pipping the chick can't get out. So keep an eye on humidity and if you need to get it up a quick spray of warm water should help. Good luck!

Now sit down and put your feet up! Take a nice deep breath! I know it's stressful, but ya done good!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom