FreeRanginChick

Chirping
Jun 26, 2022
Mount Morris, NY
Hi everyone. I have one egg left out of 18 - a combination of shipped and local call duck eggs. Only one of the local eggs made it to lockdown (late in the season and low fertility rates)

Yesterday around 4pm I heard peeping and could see shadowing in the air cell, but no bill/internal pip. A few hours later, a bruise appeared midway, but closer to the pointed end of the egg.
Sure enough at 12am last night it broke the shell at the bruise site.

Around 4 am I opened up the membrane as I wanted it to be able to breath and not suffocate since it had not perforated the membrane. The duckling is currently peeping when I talk to it but not sure where it's bill has gone, originally I could see it through the hole but has since disappeared. No further cracking in the shell since the external, malpositioned pip.

My plan was to give it a full 24 hours to try and get itself out further. Is this a good plan? I've read all the assisted hatching posts and am conflicted based on the variance of outcomes with malpositions.

Incubator is a Nurture Right 360, humidity is currently at 75, temp is 100.

Last hatch I believe I helped my calls too early and only one survived out of three, so I am trying to be more conservative.

Thank you for reading and any assistance offered. Pic attached for reference.

Attachments

• 20220730_100302.jpg
    20220730_100302.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 37
Hi everyone. I have one egg left out of 18 - a combination of shipped and local call duck eggs. Only one of the local eggs made it to lockdown (late in the season and low fertility rates)

Yesterday around 4pm I heard peeping and could see shadowing in the air cell, but no bill/internal pip. A few hours later, a bruise appeared midway, but closer to the pointed end of the egg.
Sure enough at 12am last night it broke the shell at the bruise site.

Around 4 am I opened up the membrane as I wanted it to be able to breath and not suffocate since it had not perforated the membrane. The duckling is currently peeping when I talk to it but not sure where it's bill has gone, originally I could see it through the hole but has since disappeared. No further cracking in the shell since the external, malpositioned pip.

My plan was to give it a full 24 hours to try and get itself out further. Is this a good plan? I've read all the assisted hatching posts and am conflicted based on the variance of outcomes with malpositions.

Incubator is a Nurture Right 360, humidity is currently at 75, temp is 100.

Last hatch I believe I helped my calls too early and only one survived out of three, so I am trying to be more conservative.

Thank you for reading and any assistance offered. Pic attached for reference.
Has it made any more progress this morning?

Has it made any more progress this morning?
It was shrink wrapped, so I assisted a little more last night and she subsequently hatched the rest of the way around 8pm. It's yolk sac was still attached at hatch, but was fully absorbed by this morning.

It is quite weak, eyes are mostly closed and mostly laying on its side. I was able to get it to drink some water with nutridrench just now. I think I need to move to the brooder since it is not fluffing up in the incubator.

Not sure it has the best outlook based on its behavior. Perhaps the malposition was indicative of a developmental issue. Hopefully it makes it.

It was shrink wrapped, so I assisted a little more last night and she subsequently hatched the rest of the way around 8pm. It's yolk sac was still attached at hatch, but was fully absorbed by this morning.

It is quite weak, eyes are mostly closed and mostly laying on its side. I was able to get it to drink some water with nutridrench just now. I think I need to move to the brooder since it is not fluffing up in the incubator.

Not sure it has the best outlook based on its behavior. Perhaps the malposition was indicative of a developmental issue. Hopefully it makes it
Good luck little duck! 😘

Update: After water and a good nap it has perked up tremendously! Her eyes are finally opened and she is moving around. She is drinking on her own and eating a very little hit.
My concern now is she hasn't pooped yet.... I can't find much information concerning the timeline for their first poop? I'm sure it varies but since she is eating and drinking something should be coming out. I did check the cloaca and it looks fine, no pasty butt. Ugh hopefully it lives.
Good luck little duck! 😘
Thank you @Aunt Angus and @shawluvsbirds for your help and support

Attachments

• 20220731_162818.jpg
    20220731_162818.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 19
I'm not 100% sure myself, but I imagine it's still absorbing yolk, right?
She must have been because she finally 💩 last night! Never thought I'd be so happy to see duck poo lol.

I feel like today is a critical day for her outlook. Hoping we are through the hardest part and on to being a healthy and happy duckling.

I need to give her a bath later since her head still has sticky stuff on it, but here she is this morning.

Thanks again @Aunt Angus 😊

Attachments

• 20220801_085455.jpg
    20220801_085455.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 16
She must have been because she finally 💩 last night! Never thought I'd be so happy to see duck poo lol.

I feel like today is a critical day for her outlook. Hoping we are through the hardest part and on to being a healthy and happy duckling.

I need to give her a bath later since her head still has sticky stuff on it, but here she is this morning.

Thanks again @Aunt Angus 😊
Sometimes when they have a rough hatch it just takes a little longer for them to get going.

Back
Top Bottom