Pipping Eggs - Is Membrane too Dry?

Try not to worry, quite normal for nothing to have happened yet. They have a lot to do prior to hatch. Yolk and blood vessels to absorb and lots of resting and sleeping to do. I know just how you feel and it sure does seem to take an age for something to happen.

One hatched at 2am this morning (uk time). The egg I spoke to you about (plus 1 other) had not progressed at all. The membrane had gone papery and brown so I had to remove the hatched chick from the incubator after 4 hours (not ideal but needed to intervene with the other eggs). I have made a small opening in one membrane and can see a beak. He/she is alive but not doing much for themselves. I am guessing they are weak from being stuck behind the membrane for so long.

The other chick showed signs of possibly having blood underneath the membrane.

Both eggs are back in the incubator and I will watch them for the next couple of hours.

I never imagined my first hatch would end up like this but as all eggs seem to be showing similar signs, I fear it's the incubator (possibly humidity).

Thank you for checking up on me. I think it's a real possibility that I might lose the two chicks that pipped all those hours ago.

Hi Nicola,

I know how nerve wracking and anxious it can be waiting for eggs to hatch, especially your first batch.

Some breeds of chicken are renowned for having problems with a dry/thick membrane when chicks are trying to hatch - maybe that is the problem?

Some chicks go as much as three days over the 21 days before hatching.

I know most advice will tell you not to 'help' the chicks in any way, or open the egg, BUT (and I'll probably get a lot of flack for this) in certain circumstances I think you can't just stand by and let chicks die in the shell.

I had a silkie sitting on three eggs and one hatched - four days later the other two had not hatched and she decided to abandon them.

They were cheeping in the egg, but had got really cold. I decided to very gently and carefully to open them both by making a little hole at first and then slowly progressing.

It's lucky I did, they were very chilled, the membrane was REALLY thick and hard and they had no egg tooth, so they would never have got out and would have died in the shell.

They were both fine after warming them up.

If you think some of your chicks are going to die, I would advise helping them out.

Thank you for offering your advice.

Since making the opening a little wider (in the egg pictured above), I can see the chicks beak so it's now getting air. It isn't doing much at all for itself. Not moving around but its beak is continually opening and closing but no cheeping sounds from any of the eggs. I think, I will leave for the time being. I know they are getting air so will wait patiently for another couple of hours and see if they make any effort to help themselves
1f648.png

It could be as suggested they have very thick membrane/shell but that should become apparent if the start zipping and can't finish or make a good start at it. Condensation in the incubator is in general an indication of very high humidity so I don't think it's an issue of it being too low. Have you got to the 24 hour mark since they pipped the original hole?

Here is a great article that is very helpful if you do decide to help the chicks hatch ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Another has just hatched but still seems to have something attached to it. It looks almost jelly like and seems to be coming from where the vent would be. It looks almost like an umbilical cord is still attached? Do I do anything?

Another has just hatched but still seems to have something attached to it. It looks almost jelly like and seems to be coming from where the vent would be. It looks almost like an umbilical cord is still attached? Do I do anything?

That's fantastic that it's hatched on its own :clap It will just be a bit of umbilical cord/hatch gunk. No need to do anything, it will dry up of its own accord and drop off. Don't pull it as this may cause a rupture.

Last edited:
Thank you
1f60a.png
The other one is almost fully zipped too
1f60a.png

There seems to be a little bright pink thing near the vent (hanging out) and the cord is attached to that. The chick is very active. It almost look like it could be a prolapse?

Back
Top Bottom