Pips on day 18 but then quit?

Delighted

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Atlanta
I have had a hard time with this batch. I have 18 eggs that i set on April 14th Had several temp spikes--possibly to 106, but that is what the cheapo thermometer said--the candy therm that I had in there said 103--still high. Most of the time it ran at 99-101. I had lots of trouble keeping it steady. Two things I did differently than last time, where 2 out of 22 hatched. I took the red plugs out at the beginning of setting the eggs, and I put almost no water in, and didn't replenish what was in there. (I have a Hovabator 1602 still air)

Put the bator into lockdown Saturday, although I wasn't expecting much. So I was pleasantly surprised to see three--and maybe 4 pips yesterday. One of the eggs, a bantam, had a large pip opening. I might have seen some movement, but it was faint. No peeping, no rocking, nothing else. As of this morning, I'm thinking it quit somewhere--there is no progress at all. From what I have been reading, it either shrink wrapped, or drowned--and I have no idea which, since I don't know how much humidity is in there. I had the thought of helping it yesterday when I saw the faint moving, but then that would have jeopadized the other eggs which might wait til day 21. But if that was the only egg that lived through the spikes, and then it died right at pip time-- ARRRRGGGGHHHH!

The other eggs that pipped are at the really early pip--where there's no hole yet, just the tiny amount of lifting of the shell. I kinda think they quit, too, because no progress at all since yesterday afternoon. Again, no peeps, no rocking, nothing.

My eggs are in egg cartons cut down, I filled the water reservoirs at lockdown, and put the little red plugs back in. I don't know if I can do anything to salvage this batch or not.

hugs.gif
Sorry your having hatching problens!

Hey, don't lose hope yet.... they haven't even reached day 21 yet.... I've only incubated one other time (mine now are due on 5/11)... but I've heard it can take a few days AFTER the pip for them to hatch. Maybe the chick is just resting. Wait it out, and don't open..... I know it is hard..... good luck!

Thanks for the cheering up and good wishes! I haven't opened the bator--and that IS hard to do. I have to keep reminding myself it's only day 18! But I still think that little bugger died on me! I want little peepers to fuss over! LOL!!

Clarkestep--I'm actually in Cumming--I have to drive through Cartersville one day next week to pick up a small flock of adult chickens--Cartersville is beautiful!

I'm copying and pasting what i typed into another thread I've been posting in about my chicks:

Pleasantly surprised! Yesterday, I figured the one egg that had pipped a big hole--not zipped, but a bigger hole than the little triangular pip--I figured it was shrinkwrapped, so I put more warm water in--without opening the bator. I used a juice infuser for meats--looks like an oversized seringe thingy. I put the needle through one of the holes in the top of the bator and aimed carefully. Some of the water went into the troughs and some went into the egg cartons the eggs were sitting in.

Checked on the eggs this morning. Still the two unmoving pips and one hole pip/zip. No cheeping, no nothing. Today is day 20, i kept reminding myself. I went out to run the errands that were going to take all day. Called my son at 3. He tells me I have 3 chicks!

WHAT!!!!!!??????

Long story short, tonight I have 6 chicks, 2 zipping and 2 pips, with 8 not doing anything. (this includes the one dead egg).

Question: The 6 hatched chicks are pecking at the zipping eggs and playing hockey with the others. I'm afarid to open the bator to take them out cuz I don't want to shrink wrap the pipped ones, but I'm not sure how many hatched chicks the bator can handle while there are still eggs to hatch. When do I take the dry chicks out?​

Back
Top Bottom