Pirate ducklings with chicken mama!

What day would you candle to look for first signs of development?

• Total voters
Pics

PirateGirl

Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist
6 Years
Mar 11, 2017
South Park, Colorado, USA
10F9D836-A614-4A17-93A1-28E1F197F88B.jpeg

It’s officially official, tonight I swapped the infertile chicken eggs under my extremely large and broody Delaware hen for 5 somewhat carefully selected fertile duck eggs from my flock. With any luck in 28 days there will be pirate ducklings taking over the chicken coop. Dela happily and carefully tucked each egg underneath her, wiggled her butt, and settled down on top of them. Follow along for photos and fun as we wait for the littles to make an appearance. This will be my first journey hatching anything.

Here is a photo of my big macks, the suppliers of the eggs.

View attachment 1783610
It’s officially official, tonight I swapped the infertile chicken eggs under my extremely large and broody Delaware hen for 5 somewhat carefully selected fertile duck eggs from my flock. With any luck in 28 days there will be pirate ducklings taking over the chicken coop. Dela happily and carefully tucked each egg underneath her, wiggled her butt, and settled down on top of them. Follow along for photos and fun as we wait for the littles to make an appearance. This will be my first journey hatching anything.

Here is a photo of my big macks, the suppliers of the eggs.
Good luck.

B6DCB33A-E167-42C2-944E-20450341CACA.jpeg
Day 2 Update:

Day 1 Update:

Dela sat all through the night through the snowstorm. Fortunately I managed to get her set up in the nest box that is NOT the favorite box so hopefully she doesn’t squabble quite as much with the other girls. She has no idea she’s about to hatch ducklings! She goes broody often but has never hatched anything.

Last edited:
Hello...Your Ducks appear very water logged in that picture. :idunno
Possibly wet feather? Or I'm not sure? Ready to molt soon?

Yes. The weather here has been terrible and they have not had enough swim time lately. It snows and then melts into a mud pit. Im hoping we can get some more regular swim time soon and their feather condition will improve again.

So how long can an egg be kicked out of the nest and still be ok? I cane home and it is clear that now that the broody is in this nest box it is the new favorite nest box. I found 2 new eggs under her and two on the floor of the coop (one of which is new and one of which is fertile and marked).

Back
Top Bottom