Pix of my chicken house and their run

They are beautiful! And that is one handy feeder, I might add. Very neat, good looking and functional.
Thank you Bee. I had to do something because I just had fits trying to get around them when I was changing out water etc. when they were feeding. They seem to like it because it's about the right height for them now. They almost had to lay down and eat with it the way it was before. lol

Definitely keeps the litter out of it! Good design. Everything you guys have done with this coop and run has shown good common sense and wisdom...can't say enough about how proud I am of all you've done.
woot.gif

It's huge! I have to post pictures of mine so I can get peoples opinions on how many hens I can fit.

What the capacity of your awesome coop and run?
was wondering IF you ever posted pix of yours and then thought duh check it out by the name. Yep you did and I love the double decker nesting box. That's what I want to make something like that for the nesting area I need some more nest because I keep finding an egg in front of the nesting boxes on the ground. Lots of times they're all filled up and some of those BA's want to camp out in there so they take a while to lay one or just sit there or something. lol

Guess what I did the other day? Made my first coop tweak done solely to accommodate birds that should have been culled long ago...officially turning me into a bad flock master. Just wanted to try an experiment to see if it's something I can recommend to others. Big Bertha and Ginny both have callouses on their feet...Ginny's just showed up here recently. She has been roosting on a roost that was never meant for roosting, only for a boost to the nests, and the board is pretty rough and too small for her size.

Bertha came back from the bad place with both feet showing callouses that could very easily turn to bumblefoot if she was living in that life still. They have not gone away but they also do not become inflamed, so I'm leaving them alone. But recently she has moved to a less desirable roosting spot that is also too small for her heavy frame. That end of the roost was meant for junior birds but Bertha's old age symptoms have relegated her to the fringe of the flock(another reason I should have culled her already).

So, in the time before both of these birds will be culled~I've decided to process them both when I process these roosters~I've devised a little padding for their roosts and it seems to be working out well. Only time will tell if it helped with the callouses, so this is a testing time. In any case, it should make for warmer roosting this winter! I applied grey pipe insulation to my roosts and fastened it with zip ties. Each piece cost $1.39 for 5 ft. of insulation, so not a costly tweak at all.

That is such a good idea and it also gave me ANOTHER idea to. One of my doors hubby welded for me, we put wire on and every time I go through that door I catch my arm on that wire. I have bent it until I am blue in the face. SO I bought me one of those swimming noodles I think is what they call it and I am going to split it and put it on the edge of that door! MAYBE NOW I wont keep cutting my arm on it.

Bee every time I see those fluffy white chickens of yours they remind me of clouds. They're so fluffy and clean and white. Just too neat. LOVE those chickens of yours! What breed are those? Not the CX but those sitting on the roost in these pix.

Those are Plymouth White Rocks...the king of breeds. They are so clean because their feather quality seems to just shed dirt...they have the softest, silkiest feathering of any breed I've ever touched in my life..and that's saying a lot. Their feathers are much like silk...light, soft, strong and resistant to soiling. I was just given a rooster from one of the most important WR bloodlines here in the US, or so I'm told, and I have two pullets from the next one removed, so I'm going to start breeding the two strains and move to just keeping WRs and also some Khaki Campbell ducks(that's an experiment in the breed to see if they will work out) for laying.

Back
Top Bottom