Pix of my chicken house and their run

I agree...they can and will fly. My little girls are only 6 weeks old and they started roosting in their coop last week. I went out one morning to check on them and could only find 3 (I have 6). Imagine my surprise when I looked up and 3 of them were up on their roosts staring down at me! They aren't even fully feathered (almost, but not quite) yet! So if my little girls are flying up...and they have to be cause they don't have any other way of getting there...then surely your big beautiful girls can too! And by the way, they ARE beautiful! What kind are they? I might have to add some of them to my flock.

I agree...they can and will fly. My little girls are only 6 weeks old and they started roosting in their coop last week. I went out one morning to check on them and could only find 3 (I have 6). Imagine my surprise when I looked up and 3 of them were up on their roosts staring down at me! They aren't even fully feathered (almost, but not quite) yet! So if my little girls are flying up...and they have to be cause they don't have any other way of getting there...then surely your big beautiful girls can too! And by the way, they ARE beautiful! What kind are they? I might have to add some of them to my flock.

mine are Rhode Island reds and Black Australorps. Thank you! Yep I have seen several of them hop up on their roost here lately but several does hop up on the ladder thing and then hop up onto the roost. They're pretty large now and I did notice it was the cockerel that did that so maybe his little hinney has gotten a little too fat.
wink.png

I've got a stump under my roosts for the oldsters who are dragging their walkers along to bed. Most don't need it but some definitely take advantage of the step up when they are in the mood.

I've got a stump under my roosts for the oldsters who are dragging their walkers along to bed. Most don't need it but some definitely take advantage of the step up when they are in the mood.

That's a great idea. Some of my orps are really large and getting older. When they jump from the roost to the floor they sound like a lead balloon hitting it. I think thats a keeper. A stump or large cut from a tree would work.

That's a great idea. Some of my orps are really large and getting older. When they jump from the roost to the floor they sound like a lead balloon hitting it. I think thats a keeper. A stump or large cut from a tree would work.

Yep that Bee is a keeper for sure. She's always filled with such good ideas! Don't know WHAT I would do without her help! She's been a blessing to me and my chickens.

Well we only have a half run tonight.
wink.png
Had to take up a few posts to replace them and the 2x4's as well. By the time we FINALLY got out all the roofing nails and the staples out of the wire it was too late to start on digging holes for the new posts etc. Plus we needed some more materials to since I forgot it had 2 ten foot long boards across the end and I only got one board. SO we just temporarily closed up the end for now until we can work on it some more. Those chickens are so spoiled and I just could not believe how they do. We started working on it and they stayed right with us checking to see what we were doing. At one point one was 1 foot from hubbys eyes while he was lying on the ground pulling out nails and stuff.
idunno.gif
Then when I finally let them in their pen this evening they went in checking out their short run.
gig.gif
Don't think they were none to happy with it either because they were just a talkin' to me about it.
wink.png
At one point our daughter brings us out some iced tea and she was sitting in one of the chairs out there. One of the RIR pullets came up under her chair and grabbed a bug off her foot. Some kind of bugs are in my oak where we were sitting and they were eating them. She says, you know your in the country when a chicken walks up and grabs a bug off your foot.
yesss.gif
hee hee that's pest control at it's finest!!!
lau.gif

So shortly I will be able to get their grazing frames planted. Got the seeds and needing to get this pen fixed so I can put the frames back in place and get em planted.

Stay tuned pix a comin' when we get er fixed. ;-)

Last edited:
Isn't it neat how nosy they all are? Any time I'm doing chores outside they are right there, either sitting and grooming or inspecting the job and adding comments in chicken speak. Fanny and Little Red are the most nosy and mouthy about our little biddy talks and will stay until it's all done, inspecting the whole thing.
big_smile.png
Gotta love chickens!

Wanted to show you some pics of the weed and flower trimmings I put in the bedding...my coop smells like Chocolate Mint!!! YUM.
gig.gif
One pic also shows the placement of the stump by my roosts for a leg up...this stump serves reaching both roosts.

Isn't it neat how nosy they all are? Any time I'm doing chores outside they are right there, either sitting and grooming or inspecting the job and adding comments in chicken speak. Fanny and Little Red are the most nosy and mouthy about our little biddy talks and will stay until it's all done, inspecting the whole thing.
big_smile.png
Gotta love chickens!

Wanted to show you some pics of the weed and flower trimmings I put in the bedding...my coop smells like Chocolate Mint!!! YUM.
gig.gif
One pic also shows the placement of the stump by my roosts for a leg up...this stump serves reaching both roosts.

WOW love all the green and bet it DOES smell heavenly!
big_smile.png
Got some pix of our tearing out job this evening.
The chickens are soooooooo pretty!!! GOTTA get one of my stumps and use it under mines roost! NEED me some mo stumps! LOL

Last edited:

The last post to he left was as long as it used to be before we tore it out. I just left the litter on place.

Another shot of a different angle. We put all the stumps on top of the grazing frames because we had a hole at the very bottom and we didn't want anything to be able to get inside there.

Notice the difference in the soils where the deep litter was pulled back to allow us to get at the 1x4's to take them out. Anyway notice the soil by the chair and ladder, see how whitish looking it is? Notice the deep color of the soil that was under the litter.

Bee notice the RIR toward the top of the pic off to the left of it. She is in the cows run that connects all these cow pastures together around us. That's where the DL is coming from.

We redid their feeding trough to. I wanted to hang it to get it off the ground AND move it as well since it was in a very narrow area. NOW I can get around them when they're feeding from both sides.

Nesting area all fixed up except for their closed in fence on the left side. GOT to get that done to.

LOL STILL working that DL even though it's not in the pen right now.
clap.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom