Places in Maryland or Virginia that allow roosters?

Chikenshiken

Songster
Feb 1, 2023
Hey everyone! I’m a college student who is studying ornithology and is planning on working in Washington DC natural history museum. I do plan on moving in a few years and want to get informed. Chickens are a big priority for where I want to move. Does anyone know any places in Virginia or Maryland that is at least an hour or two hours away from Washington DC that allows roosters?

I would really prefer moving somewhere more agricultural but I’m not sure if that exists anywhere close to Washington DC. I have seen Takoma Park Maryland and that’s one of my biggest options right now since it’s about 40 minutes away. But I would like some more options

Berkeley County WV (2 hours)
Jefferson County WV (1 hour+)
Washington County MD (1.5 hours)
Frederick County VA (1.5 hours)

These are the ones I have personal experience with. They are all mainly agricultural with a main town (the county seat). I can look up counties closer to DC if you like :).

You just can’t live within most city limits. If you’re out in the country you’ll be fine. I live twenty minutes from town and have two roosters. Lots of people do around here.

Berkeley County WV (2 hours)
Jefferson County WV (1 hour+)
Washington County MD (1.5 hours)
Frederick County VA (1.5 hours)

These are the ones I have personal experience with. They are all mainly agricultural with a main town (the county seat). I can look up counties closer to DC if you like :).

You just can’t live within most city limits. If you’re out in the country you’ll be fine. I live twenty minutes from town and have two roosters. Lots of people do around here.
Thank you! Since you have personal experience, was the housing prices quite expensive in these places? I’ve seen some rental ranches but I’m not sure how common those are!

Well, I don’t exactly know how much a rental would be; we bought our house (three bed, two bath) on two acres for $300,000 three years ago. I think you could buy a decent house out here, with an acre or two. Of course the further away you are from the city the cheaper it is :). If you have any other questions let me know, I’d be happy to help! Like I said I don’t know much about rentals but a good website for buying is realtor.com.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom