planning my first incubation!!

MyTDogs

Songster
10 Years
Jun 24, 2009
Sunny Seminole County, FL
Hi all,

I am hoping to receive some Ameraucana eggs to start hatching this weekend (ordered from a fellow BYC'er). I am working out my incubator options right now....I may borrow one for a friend & I have looked at online tutorials on making your own. I am wondering if I can set up something using a food dehydrator? I know that sounds silly but it has a heating element, a fan and even a thermostat. Anybody done something like this? I'd really rather not spend $$ on a cheapie model at TSC when I may be able to craft something quick & easy on my own.

Also, how soon do I have to set the eggs once I receive them? If I have some time, how do I store them in the meantime? They are being shipped.

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,

Hi all,

I am hoping to receive some Ameraucana eggs to start hatching this weekend (ordered from a fellow BYC'er). I am working out my incubator options right now....I may borrow one for a friend & I have looked at online tutorials on making your own. I am wondering if I can set up something using a food dehydrator? I know that sounds silly but it has a heating element, a fan and even a thermostat. Anybody done something like this? I'd really rather not spend $$ on a cheapie model at TSC when I may be able to craft something quick & easy on my own.

Also, how soon do I have to set the eggs once I receive them? If I have some time, how do I store them in the meantime? They are being shipped.

Thanks,
OMGOODNESS! Someone in florida! I am hoping to have an Ameraucana chicken. So far I am on day 4 and I haven't seen anything. I have seen a large black circle in my egg and haven't seen any veins. Also, when you get them, I would make sure they don't have cracks on them. If they do, then quickly put some candle wax on the crack. That is what I did. I have no expiriance with incubators, so I'm not sure about that. Can't wait to see them when they hatch!
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Candling is definitely one of the most anticipating and anxious moments because you're never entirely sure what to look for. The first week is the scariest because you're wondering if there is life inside your egg. :) I made a homemade incubator to rescue an abound ones goose egg, but it hasn't been working so we're buying an incubator. It's only $30! :) I've been candling this egg like crazy but I'm only 56 hours into "incubation", assuming my homemade crafting has even had an effect on the little guy. :) Haha Anyway, good luck to you all! Maybe we can all hatch our chicks together! :)

Hi all,

Thanks,
I don't think you would be able to regulate the heat very well in a dehydrator.....a light bulb in a closed container works very well. Get yourself a thermometer/hygrometer to be able to regulate the heat and humidity. An old computer fan works great for moving the air around and a dish of water will provide your humidty. Holes in the contanier you can cover or open allows you to regulate.

When i recieve eggs, I let them sit for a day, I turn them 4 times during that period. Temp wise, I set mine in my pump house and it's about 65 degrees. When you set them depends on hod old they are. Most folks write the date collected on the egg with pencil. I like my eggs to be set no later than 7 days, hatch rate drops after that.

Just a suggestion or two from the Funny Farm.........Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom