plans for something like a grandpa feeder/treadle feeder

kristip

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2010
New Glarus
Looking for some plans for something like a grandpa feeder. sick of chickens dumping food all over but not sure I want to spend $200 on it for a small flock of under 10 hens.
any thoughts

I built one from pictures I saw of one for sale online. They are pretty easy to build and fairly basic. I can jot down the instructions on how I built mine. I took mine out of the run because it was taking up too much space in my limited area. I'd send you mine but the shipping would be expenisve since I used heavy wood.

I'm so happy to find this thread. We have 6 full sized hens and 3 four months old hens. They are allowed total free range during the day. Since winter hit we have been bombarded with wild birds. We have been buying a 50 lb bag of pellet 20% feed every 6-7 days (we have some molting going on, thus the 20%). It's killing our budget to have to buy that much feed. Now to convince my hubby that a treadle is the way to go. He gets his mind set on something and it's very difficult to steer him in another direction. He is determined to deal with the wild birds instead of just dealing with the feeder.

Back
Top Bottom