Plants for around the coop/run

Stephanie8851

Hatching
Aug 18, 2015
I am new to backyard chickens. I have 12 hens and 3 roosters. Our coop is 10’X6’ with a 10’X20’ run. I am interested in planting around the coop and having a vine go up the sides and top of the run to create a canopy. I have read that English Ivy is not good for chickens but this was my first choice in a vine. Is English Ivy ok? What other ideas do you guys have? What flowers/plants are safe to plant around the coop/run?

I have an elevated playhouse coop which is under my 8 by 8 enclosed grapevine trellis. The chickens love the grapevine leaves and grapes that fall. I also have chocolate mint growing on the outside of the enclosed grapevine trellis. The 8 by 16 run has lemon balm growing outside of it. I mix chocolate mint, citrus mint, spearmint, lemon balm, cinnamon basil, grass, and clover in with their flake pine shavings to give them a fragrant and tasty addition to their bedding.

That sounds beautiful. I also thought about a grapevine canopy, but I didn't know if it or the grapes were toxic.

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us. For a proper welcoming, consider posting an intro under the new members forum.

I would stay away from ivy - it is supposed to be toxic to poultry, but also very difficult to control and remove if you change your mind. Being evergreen and a hardy grower will block winter sun.

Grape or muscadine are supposed to be safe for chickens, but dog toxic - although many report no problems around their dogs.

If my run had more sun in the summer I would plant climbing roses - would offer summer shade and winter sun. And safe for the flock.

Whatever you decide on, make sure the run covering can handle the weight of the vines.

Back
Top Bottom