arwmommy

Songster
12 Years
Apr 13, 2007
California
Hey everyone,
As we are getting ready to move from the chick feeder/waterer to the BIG ones,
wink.png
I thought I would see what your preferences are.

I like the look of the metal more (try to stay away from plastics as much as possible--I just like glass and metal *everything* so much more!) and would like to do that but these are the concerns I have heard about the metal waterer:
1. The water can sometimes take on a metallic taste
2. You can't add apple cider vinegar to the water in a metallic container

Anything else? Your opinions? Experiences??

I haven't heard anything negative or postitive about the metal feeders, so any input on that would be great too. Thanks!

I have used both and the plastic ones always crack after awhile. I guess it might be the sun & heat in florida. I use the metal ones now I have 3 that are pretty easy to clean and haven't had a problem with rust or anything.

We have metal, because we have to use a heater in the winter. As you've said, plastic is the way to go if you want to use ACV. We also have water in bowls outside, in nice weather, for our dogs to get a drink when they are outside. And a couple of fish ponds. Dog, cat or chicken, they all just love to drink out of everything!

I read an article from a vet that recommended storing pet food in metal containers never plastic. I think the food keeps longer in metal.

But shoot, I use glass, plastic, metal-I like to use "the best" though. Hmm.

Animals seem to enjoy metal more than plastic-I've seen cats and horses lick metal, maybe they like the taste.

I use a hanging metal feeder, and it's working great.
For water, I use a plastic kitty litter pan. I didn't want metal because I use ACV, and I've been told that the plastic waterers get too slimy here in the heat. My 99 cent water pan is really easy to clean and refill, and Gloria likes to stand in it and cool her tootsies!

i use a 30 gallon metal feeder that hangs & a plastic auto dog waterer for my water. for the tractors i use one gallon milk jugs modified to make them chicken friendly feeders/waterer's.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom