Play sand for dust baths?

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
I have my 6 chicks outside (all 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 weeks old) in a wire dog crate inside their future run. It's hot here. Very hot. They are completely shaded and have ice cold water available all day. I read that dust baths can help keep them cool too, so I scooped some sand from my kids' sandbox into a shallow pie pan and put it in the crate. Is this ok? One has been sitting inside it since I put it there. They all pecked a bit but mostly just walking in and out of it and flapping around. When I search plays sand on this forum there seems to be some mixed reviews.

Just get normal dirt, sand has too much silica dust.
They don't need ice cold water, just cooler than ambient temperatures. Ice water can kill birds.

Just get normal dirt, sand has too much silica dust.
They don't need ice cold water, just cooler than ambient temperatures. Ice water can kill birds.
I live in Florida. Our "dirt" is also sand. Should I use the natural sand from the ground? It's what they'll be living on once they're big enough to come out of the crate.

Sure, that will be fine
curious about what you said regarding Ice in their water. I got the idea from reading a bunch of online suggestions to cool the flock. Over and over it says to add ice to water. Now im confused because you said ice cold water could kill them? Not that the water stays super cold for very long since it's so hot. This is just the first time I've seen someone say that.

curious about what you said regarding Ice in their water. I got the idea from reading a bunch of online suggestions to cool the flock. Over and over it says to add ice to water. Now im confused because you said ice cold water could kill them? Not that the water stays super cold for very long since it's so hot. This is just the first time I've seen someone say that.
Blogs, articles just repeat each other to fill space. Ice water can kill younger chicksfrom shock but I'm not sure where the cut off is, yours are likely fine.
Ice water actually can heat a bird and you, since your bodies do not like very cold things, they'll heat up to compensate.
It's easier to say hydrated with room temperature or warm water.

Back
Top Bottom