Please don’t call me nuts if it’s just WRONG LOL

My concern with rats is if they ate poison before being caught.
Understandable. Mice too. I sometimes use poison to control mice and rats. If I find a mouse or rat dead from the poison the chickens don't get it. The neighbors are not close enough that I worry about them using poison. Rats and mice don't travel 1/4 mile regularly.

I figure if a mouse or rat has not eaten enough poison to kill it or make it too sick to eat it doesn't contain enough poison in the parts they eat to harm a larger chicken. But that is for the mice the chickens catch on their own. If I am baiting mice or rats I don't feed them to the chickens.

I asked this question once and someone told me its fine as long as you don't tell them 😆
Some people scramble their eggs and feed them to their flocks. Isn't that like eating your young?? LOL My Ducks on the other hand will only eat grass, weeds or lettuce. They will not touch any type of food scraps but do eat their duck food and scratch grains. Occasionally I find an egg that is broken that I think one of them tried to eat. Funny how all flocks can be so different.

I absolutely wouldn't feed raw meat, especially any poultry, from the grocery store. Cooked, fine, not raw. There's a high % of nasty bacterial contamination in commercial raw chicken, it's why we are careful handling it in the kitchen!
And I'm not handling dead raccoons or wild rats enough to want to feed them to my critters either.
My chickens have to catch their own meat out there...
Mary

Back
Top Bottom