Please explain how to bandage chickens' feet

Suzy W

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 8, 2009
I posted a while ago about my hen whose feet were burned on the grill--believe me, my dumb mistake will not happen again! Anyway, I've soaked her feet in betadyne. But I'd like to put bacitracin ointment on her feet and bandage them to protect from infection. Could you please explain how to bandage feet or direct me to photos on this board that would show how to do it? I have vet wrap and gauze ready to go!

Should I gently wrap all the toes together in one bandage or do 3 separate bandages and one for the toe that sticks out in the back?

I would get a bunch of small ones and wrap them around the toes, and get a big one and put it on the palm of her foot.

cut a strip of coflex about 12 inches long and one inch wide. Cut a 12-16 inch strip of duct tape about 1/2 an inch wide and leave this to one side. Fold a 4x4 gauze into something about the size of a large postage stamp. Put a blob of the iodine/sugar goo on the gauze, then put this on the bottom of the foot. Wrap this on with the coflex bandage, going around the toes but not up the shank (shin) of the leg. WRap again with the duct tape. Now you'll have a little shoe for your bird. Change this bandage every day for the first 5-7 days, then you can leave it on for about 3 to 5 days at a time, as long as the bird is responding well to the treatment (change more often if its not responding as well).

Found this on how to bandage bumble foot guess it might work...​

Thank you very much for the link! My 9 year old daughter held Little Miss Sunshine while I bandaged her, following the directions. Sunshine was a model patient! Now we'll just see if the bandage is still on when I return home!

Back
Top Bottom