Please explain the bantum thing

Quote:
Hey now, them's fightin' words!
smack.gif
tongue.png

Now I'm really in a quandry. Since I don't have much room at all, I guess I should get at least a couple of bantums, but I want to make sure DH and I get enough eggs to cook with and eat.

OK-so if I want 1 silkie,1RIR,1EE,1Silverlaced Wyandotte and 1 Buff orpington, I would probably get the silkie bantum. Which other would you choose????
hmm.png

I'm new here but from what I've read it seems that one downside to bantams is the fact that you can't determine the sex right away so the chances of getting roosters is greater than with standard size chickens.

For those of us with nearby neighbors that's a definite problem.

If I could, I'd get a D'Uccle, a Seabright and a Silkie...

Quote:
Yes, Bantams rule at least mine do.

I have 7 Miniaturized Bantam Breeds, (Bantam breeds having an equivalent in standard form)

they lay 1.4-1.5 oz eggs huge for their size, as compared to "large" egg of SF which is 2 oz.

But Bantam hens weigh only 28 - 32 oz as compared to 6lb or more for "Standard" hens.

Bantams are much less destructive for the lawn or pasture, also I find them much more inteligent and pleaseurable to deal with than Standards.

If you think about the fact that the majority of chicken owners these days DO NOT live on an expansive rolling hills farm anymore, the point of bantams is quite obvious.

Because of the bantam size, people who live in suburban areas, or even cities are afforded the opportunity to share in the hobby. Space restrictions usually prevent anyone from owning large fowl, so bantams are the next best thing.

I have both large fowl and bantums - I love the banties because they eat less, poop smaller, brood like crazy, great moms and their eggs make bite-size deviled eggs.
cool.png
In passing I told a friend I was now selling my Silkie eggs as hatching eggs to make some $$ and she was really bummed that she wouldn't be getting any more banty eggs because they make the perfect deviled egg.

One thing I really love is when you're working with a recipe that calls for 1 egg, but you want to cut the recipe in 1/2 - well how on earth do you 1/2 an egg? Well, now that I have banties, I just use one of their eggs
lol.png
So, I like the versatility!

OR... 2 large scrambled eggs are too many to fit between 2 pieces of toast, but 1 large egg is not enough for my toast - 3 banty eggs are perfect! The kids love the itty bitty eggs, too.

OR... when your large fowl are laying smallish pullet eggs and your recipe calls for large eggs...add a banty egg to make up for smallish eggs.

On the other hand - when your recipe calls for 4 large eggs and you have to crack open 8 banty eggs - well, that can be a pain.

All in all - I love my banties - a lot of personality on a little bird.
smile.png

I have several people that buy thier eggs from me just because of their size. Its more like portion control I guess lol! My banties are sweet and come running when I call for them. Even my little roo Duke is a gentle little man. I love the bantam size. (though I did just hatch some standard eggs)

Bantams can be much less destructive in a garden. My banty cochin can't dig nearly as much as my standards can. She's also a great little guard chicken, and is the first to sound the alarm if a hawk or strange cat is spotted.

My daughter is 6 and loves the little bantam eggs. They make a really sweet little fried egg for children.

Otherwise, just consider the bantams and their eggs variety and eye candy.

Back
Top Bottom