PLEASE HELP! 10 month old silkie rooster with paralyzed leg.

revampedfashion

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 31, 2013

George is approx 10 mos old. About 8 days ago he started walking with a very slight limp. As each day progressed his limp got worse until he was hopping to get around. I got alarmed that is was mareks so I separated him from his ladies. He was not vaccinated as a baby. The 5 ladies all seem perfectly fine... His leg has no muscle tone whatsoever, it feels dreadfully skinny compared to his good leg and he doesn't have any resistance when I push on the bottom of his feet. He won't hardly move now.. I have thought back and right about when his symptoms started i was giving them scratch that was buggy.. at the time we thought it was fine, but now i worry he got botulism by eating old/moldy corn. I started giving him vitamin b complex by syringe 2 times daily, poly vi sol in his water. His appetite seems fairly decent.. Although he is refusing to eat any crumble or meal worms! Today is first day for eggs and he gobbled them down. I haven't really noticed any improvement in his condition yet, but also have not noticed any worsening either. I have also checked for bumble foot and see no signs of that. Does anybody have any other ideas? I greatly appreciate any help.

I think that it is either Mareks or a vitamin deficiency, probably Mareks. Botulism would have killed him by now, and would have come on suddenly. The signs that your bird is experiencing (limping followed by paralysis) are classic signs of Mareks. Vitamin deficiencies come on slowly like that too, but his age, and the fact that he wasn't vaccinated make me think that he has Mareks.

Its also possible that he sprained his leg or injured his leg on something else. Leg injuries are especially prone to causing slight paralysis or limping. Even if you don't see a visible injury, he could still have one. Vitamins and rest will help, but not all leg injuries heal.

So, continue giving him the vitamins. Keep him rested, and in a cage with sufficient bedding. Make sure he eats and drinks enough. Unfortunately, if this is Marek's, he will probably get worse. Marek's doesn't really have a scientifically proven treatment, though some people have had success with St. Johns Wart (Hypericum). It wouldn't hurt to try treating him with that. Here is a link to information on treating Marek's with St. Johns Wart: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/135247/st-johns-wort

Also, if it is mareks would his leg muscles be gone and his leg be obviously so so much skinnier than his other leg in just 10 days time?

Also, if it is mareks would his leg muscles be gone and his leg be obviously so so much skinnier than his other leg in just 10 days time?
I'm not sure. I know that Marek's causes muscle degeneration, but I don't know if it can happen that quickly. Hopefully, somebody else chimes in and can help you.

Back
Top Bottom