PLEASE HELP - 7 day old guinea keet can't walk.

Mmmaddie13

Songster
9 Years
Mar 5, 2011
Berthoud, CO
My 7 day old guinea keet looks like his/her leg is out of place. I have experienced spraddle/splayed leg before and this is definitely not it. I have not seen this before, and I can't take pictures right now because my camera battery is dead, it should be charged enough in maybe 30 minutes or so.

But anyway. It's the chick's right leg. He can still move it around but when I hold the chick up, the left leg hangs down like normal and the right stays bent (when he's not kicking) and the "elbow" (hock?) is very swollen. Not to mention the whole leg seems to be twisted a bit outward. It seems like his toes aren't moving much if at all, but I'm trying to let him rest so I won't be able to get a better look until I take pictures.

I hope that's enough information, if you need more please let me know.

It is a slipped tendon. I am able to push the tendon back to where it should be, but it doesn't stay. Any help (pictures would be nice) or advice for making a splint? Please.

I'm pretty sure what you're talking about is a slipped tendon. These are very hard to deal with and I haven't heard of anyone who has cured it. Chicks with slipped tendons usually don't get enough feed/nutrients/water because they can't get around very well. One of my chicks had a slipped tendon and he died when he was around 6 weeks old. He was the size of a newborn chick when he passed. I hope you can help your baby and this may help: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

ETA: I was too late! You found it without me!

Last edited:
Thank you very much. I really want to do everything I can for this little guy. Any advice on splints or slings? I am trying to just wrap the hock with vet wrap, making sure the tendon is in place obviously, and keeping him in a sling for a week or so. But I cant find pictures or advice on slings...

I had found that link but didn't see any photos of a sling or splint. Most of the links are to threads that have expired photos.

Back
Top Bottom