PLEASE help!! 9 weeks old chick not walking

You remember those two chicks I had a while back that were paralyzed? They were being fed a turkey crumble. I'm planning on calling UC Davis to ask them if they know what mill the feed was from. My bags were fresh, but there was something odd about them. Luckily both got better after just two days of treatment with the Rooster Booster Vitamins and one drop per day (just twice) of an E capsule.

Note that I'm not saying that the chick here has this, just wanted to share. :D

-Kathy

I've seen people recommend an entire capsule in severe cases of wryneck. Many of the feed companies add processed fish meal to ' bulk ' the feed up.

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article.html

Check out the crookneck article and the feeding corn article.
I also found the dog food cat food and cod liver oil one a good read.

Last edited:
With WNL, they are mostly exposures without symptoms. (Mostly). With EEE, the symtoms mimic Marek's and sometimes an added tremor. They do die. And horses die. I keep track of those two in florida so I know if I should give my horse a boost. But nothing's happened in my county for years.

Yikes. Okay, I had better revise my FAQ. The literature I read previously said that EEE does not give chickens symptoms, but other fowl can become sick. I need to do some research, it seems!! This is the only credible source I found: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...rview_of_viral_encephalitides_in_poultry.html
Is there somewhere I should be looking?

Fancychooklady that is a great link. I read the ones you mentioned and will go through the others too.
I give cat food to my adult chickens during molt. Now I will make sure to add multivitamin to their water if I give them that.
The crockneck article scared me with the' irreversible if started late' saying. It has been 2 weeks and her legs got worse.
Amoxicillin keeps poping up and I don't know if that could have helped.
I thought of giving amoxicillin when I saw I had some but then played it safe with corid. Or so I thought.
It is such a dilemma when you have to guess of what it is.
Her appetite was good today and I didn't tube feed her in the evening.
Her poop looks fine to me so maybe her legs will be next
Kathy I am giving her tuna fish and it seems from the links you gave me that it has both selenium and vitamin e.
She doesn't really go for it but I mix it with some rice and garlic which she likes and she gets a few bites.
I think she likes the coconut oil though.
Today I tried to give her some grit since she is not eating only her chick crumbles but I don't know if she took any.

Last edited:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

My first Marek's victim was misdiagnosed EEE because the vet didn't see any tumors. You can also give them a vaccination against it-I read that somewhere, it may be using minute amounts of the horse vaccine. Not sure.

Thank you so much. I was having the worst time finding information in regarding to chickens. Almost all the literature I found was in relation to pheasants, partridges, turkeys, etc.

I should also mention that, unfortunately, recovery from ataxia due to vitamin deficiency can be very slow, or if enough damage is done to the nervous system, a complete recovery may not occur. I had a bird that took over a month to go from immobility to stilted standing and walking. I apologize if this is discouraging, I just wanted to mention it.

I was going to ask this question, and i see thatyou have answered it, thank you.
To the op, good luck with your girl! What an amazing chicken parent you are to be doing whatever you can to try to help her.

Rbaker0345 I couldnt wait to go home and pinch her. I was laughing at the thought all the time, thanks for making my day :)

So I pinched her and she didnt react. Then I pinched her hard and I think she felt it.
She didnt see me because I pinched from behind when she was in the swing.

I wont be able to resist pinching her more now....
I will torture her to get better I guess

Irishacrefarm thanks for the kind words

Back
Top Bottom