PLEASE help!! 9 weeks old chick not walking

Plus, if it were Mareks, she wouldn't be gaining weight. In fact, this thread would have come to a close by now- if you know what I mean. Def not Mareks. Its killing me not to know what it is but this is truly a stumper. My best guess- some kind of spinal cord/neurological injury or degenerative disease, though since its not getting worse you really couldn't call it degenerative.

Chickens, in my experience, are an unfortunate demise looking for a place to happen, they get into the funkiest of messes. You could put them in a padded cell and they would figure out a way to hurt themselves. I really do feel your frustration and I do hope that if she does pass away one way or the other, you manage to have a necropsy done.

I sent an email to the state vet in Springfield but haven't heard from them yet. Although if it is not a disease I don't know if it will show in the necroscopy.
I will keep her longer though and hope for a miracle.

While Marek's does usually kill birds that experience paralysis somewhat rapidly (because it is usually accompanied by neoplasms/lymphoma/aggressive tumors), some of us have experienced a prolonged paralysis and moderate recovery (though the bird never seems to have a good immune system forever after).

I am not saying it's Marek's, but I also would not rule it out entirely.

Please help , I have 5 chicks week & a half old, eating & drinking great , poop is hard & normal looking but it can't stand for long & won't put any weight on its leg , the foot does not spread out like the other foot, is she suffering at all ? Will she survive , it stays in our house through the day to rest & back in with mum at night , please help , any ideas what is wrong.

Just an update.
She is not gaining weight almost at all.
She is 710g, 18 days ago she was 624g.
This is not normal isn't it?
The legs are the same, she just drags them around and moves with her wings.
She eats and drinks by herself but apparently just to stay alive.
I want to keep her more.
Do you have any suggestions about what to do or what this might be at this point?
If it was mareks shouldn't she be gone by now?
I fear all the time that I am putting my others at risk while trying to save this one

As nambroth said, I don't think you can rule it out. The other chicks were already exposed to her, so there is no point worrying about things you can't undo.
What you do from here is a very personal choice. Quality of life is always something to consider and a ' special ' needs chicken can be exhausting .
You have been very kind and considerate of your little one but no one would blame you for considering euthanasia . :hugs

Please help , I have 5 chicks week & a half old, eating & drinking great , poop is hard & normal looking but it can't stand for long & won't put any weight on its leg , the foot does not spread out like the other foot, is she suffering at all ? Will she survive , it stays in our house through the day to rest & back in with mum at night , please help , any ideas what is wrong.

You might get more attention on your post if you start your own post. Can you get a picture of it?

Start some poultry vitamins on your chicks in case of a riboflavin deficiency. Here are a couple of links that may help you:
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/217/vitamin-b2-deficiency

As nambroth said, I don't think you can rule it out. The other chicks were already exposed to her, so there is no point worrying about things you can't undo.
What you do from here is a very personal choice. Quality of life is always something to consider and a ' special ' needs chicken can be exhausting .
You have been very kind and considerate of your little one but no one would blame you for considering euthanasia . :hugs

Thanks Fancychooklady and everybody else for all your help.
I will keep her for some more time while I learn and prepare myself for the worst.
I remembered the other day what my friend told me when this chick got sick: "Some chicks are not meant to survive".
But if that happens at least I have the other 5 beautiful siblings he kindly gave me and they will be ok.

Back
Top Bottom