PLEASE HELP! Chick pipped 24 hrs ago, no air hole, just membrane show

kaceek

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 25, 2009
Guys Mills
What should I do? Just the white membrane is showing... bout 1/2 the size of a dime... should I poke an airhole for it and stick it back in? Or is it probably dead.

I have a couple more eggs in egg cartons hatching... it's day 23 should I take them out and let them set on the wire rack for another day?

Thanks.

Leave it. It could be just absorbing the yolk sac, or may not make hit. HOw long ago did it pip? It can take 24 or more hours after pipping to hatch. In general, if it can't hatch, survivability isn't very good. Don't open the incubator, or it will slow progress.

If you have others still hatching, leave them all, til they stop being active- at least another day, if they've just pipped. Good luck-- this is the hard part. My hatch last week had 2 that never made it after pipping, but I've made my "rule" never to help them out. I know some will try, but I've helped during 3 hatches ( one each time) and none ended up surviving, all had abnormalities, so I have had to be hard on myself, and remind myself, that I watched 3 suffer for days because I helped. I'd rather they not hatch and pass quickly if they can't hatch, than to watch them suffer and have to put them down myself.

Good luck!

Quote:

The chick that pipped is dead. There is no noticeable breathing through where the membrane over it's body or peeping/ scratching from the egg. It pipped about 30 hrs ago... I took the chicks that hatched out because it's been over 48 hrs for most... and left in the eggs that haven't pipped yet. Thanks though, your words made me feel better. I agree with what you said "I'd rather they not hatch and pass quickly if they can't hatch, than to watch them suffer and have to put them down myself." It's sad and hard... but I guess thats all part it.

The ones that haven't pipped yet are on day 23... how much longer would you suggest I leave those in for?

Also! I put mine in egg cartons to hatch w ventilation holes in the bottom (another breeder friend of mine does that) vs just laying on the floor.... what do you find works best for you? Do you use anything on the floor... I've heard shelf liner to help with the mess??

Thanks in advance
smile.png

If you're on day 23, they're probably done hatching. You could give it til tomorrow if you're not sure.

I used to use cartons for hatching, but found I didn't like it because the chicks sometimes got "stuck" under the edges of them and coudlnt get out and stretch. Also,some pipped low, and had a hard time getting out. I have used rubber shelf liner on the bottom of the incubator/top of the grate- but it's just more to clean up in the end. So, now, I take the eggs out of the turner on day 18, and let nature do t's thing. I never open it until they've all hatched """unless""" one of the empty eggshells has lodged over an egg that hasn't hatched ( this has happened a few times). I that case, I cover over the incubator and my head with a towel or small blanket, to keep the heat and humidity reduction to a minimum, and open it just enough to pull out the shell, and close it again.
Chicks have absorbed their yolk sac, so they can stay in there a couple days without a problem.

Good luck with your babies!! How many hatched total?

Quote:

I got 24 eggs shipped to me and 10 hatched. This was my first run on the incubator... so I just got some cheap eggs- I paid like $20 w. shipping... So $2 a chick! I have 2 Americaunas, 1 BLR Wynodotte, 2 Lavender Cochins, 2 Blue Frizzled Cochins, 1 Black Mottle Cochin, 1 White Silkie, 1 Red Cochin. The carton method was a little scary... it just seemed like it made it harder for them to get out... I had one zip down really low... I didn't even see a pip and next I know there is a little zip going around! That was the last one to hatch. I think next time I'm going to put little trays for each of them... so they can roll around and push out more. I'm afraid to use just the wire floor and have them roll on eachother and kick each other around... hmm. Live and learn! All I can say is thank goodness my chickens are going broody!! Hopefully they'll set on some of my eggs for me
smile.png

Thanks for your help!

They dont' seem to mind being kicked around by each other-- they like to snuggle together, and "visit"and be curious about one another- I've never had trouble with the wire floor, except ONE hatch, one corner of the wire bent up and a chick got it's leg stuck under. I got it out quick and taped down the wire, and it hasn't happened again. I like the wire because the messy stuff can drop down a bit and stay off the chicks for the most part.

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom