Spoild Chick96

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2018
Hi all I just want to start by saying this is my first time posting here so please bear with me if any of this is incorrectly done.

On Thursday.the 5th Baby Girl, who likes to spend time inside with me especially at night, had laid completely shelless egg. And then Friday night I noticed blood in her almost liquid stool, on Saturday I noticed her draw was just about as full as it was when we went to bed the night before and I noticed she was barely eating and drinking Im not sure if she ate it all, I know she drink a very little bit she had no interest in treats or anything. When she was perching on the back of the couch she just look like a big old poof ball all her feathers were puffed out, I should have taken a picture of that but I didn't. And all day long it was basically liquid with a hint of red coming out of her vent. Then this morning her crawl felt quite smaller so I'm hoping that what I could feel was from her taking a couple bites of of food thus morning & not still left over from the other day. Ill attach some pics from her stool from last night & a few others.
Any thoughts are welcome & appreciated! Ty for taking the time to read about my little girl!

Attachments

• 0305202306.jpg
    0305202306.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 0306201945a_1583700131861.jpg
    0306201945a_1583700131861.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 0308201505a.jpg
    0308201505a.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 0308201505b_1583700075352.jpg
    0308201505b_1583700075352.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 0308201811-1.jpg
    0308201811-1.jpg
    529.8 KB · Views: 13
You did very well for a first time poster here.

One question. Does the poop smell particularly awful? Sometimes coccidiosis causes very foul smelling poop, and the tinge of blood in it also points to a coccidia infestation.

If you have Corid on hand or if you live someplace other than the US, try to find a coccidia product with amprolium in it, and start to treat immediately. Treat all your chickens, not just this one.

You did very well for a first time poster here.

One question. Does the poop smell particularly awful? Sometimes coccidiosis causes very foul smelling poop, and the tinge of blood in it also points to a coccidia infestation.

If you have Corid on hand or if you live someplace other than the US, try to find a coccidia product with amprolium in it, and start to treat immediately. Treat all your chickens, not just this one.

Awe thanks for saying that, I tried to give all the pertinent info I could think of. I live in Florida, this is a first for me. Where would I find corks, never heard of it? We are down to 12 hens & a few of them have poopie butts including a couple who have never let their butts get pasty.
Now do you think the shell less egg has anything to do with it. Do I need to stick my finger up it to tell for shells?

Awe thanks for saying that, I tried to give all the pertinent info I could think of. I live in Florida, this is a first for me. Where would I find corks, never heard of it? We are down to 12 hens & a few of them have poopie butts including a couple who have never let their butts get pasty.
Now do you think the shell less egg has anything to do with it. Do I need to stick my finger up it to tell for shells?

Did I post this in the right forum? I was hoping for a bit more discussion with some different Avenues to think about?
Is coccidiosis curable if that's what it is?

I'm of the belief that the egg was coincidental. You would need to be worried about it if the egg had collapsed inside her and bits of yolk were dribbling out of her vent. A shell-less egg is usually of no concern unless it becomes chronic. Then it's treatable with calcium supplements. (One whole tablet of calcium citrate each day until eggs have normal shells, the kind women take to avoid osteoporosis.)

Corid is a brand name of amprolium sold in the US at practically all feed stores. It says it's for cattle, but we use it for chickens , too. I use the liquid and it's most common anyway. It treats a parasite called coccidia. This is about the time of year when they bloom in the soil and can cause problems when they enter the chickens' intestines. It's very treatable and survivable when caught early. If left untreated, it causes death.

You can safely treat with Corid even without a confirmed diagnosis. Corid is a thiamine blocker, a B vitamin that coccidia thrive on. With it blocked they die off. The treatment is two teaspoons of liquid Corid mixed into one gallon of water for seven days.

Mix it fresh each day. Wait five days and give plain water, then begin five more days of Corid. It should be the only water the chickens drink during this treatment period.

That's to target any coccidia that have hatched since the first round, and then your chickens should all be resistant to that strain and probably will be safe unless they happen to encounter a new strain, there being nine all together that target chickens.

I'm of the belief that the egg was coincidental. You would need to be worried about it if the egg had collapsed inside her and bits of yolk were dribbling out of her vent. A shell-less egg is usually of no concern unless it becomes chronic. Then it's treatable with calcium supplements. (One whole tablet of calcium citrate each day until eggs have normal shells, the kind women take to avoid osteoporosis.)

Corid is a brand name of amprolium sold in the US at practically all feed stores. It says it's for cattle, but we use it for chickens , too. I use the liquid and it's most common anyway. It treats a parasite called coccidia. This is about the time of year when they bloom in the soil and can cause problems when they enter the chickens' intestines. It's very treatable and survivable when caught early. If left untreated, it causes death.

You can safely treat with Corid even without a confirmed diagnosis. Corid is a thiamine blocker, a B vitamin that coccidia thrive on. With it blocked they die off. The treatment is two teaspoons of liquid Corid mixed into one gallon of water for seven days.

Mix it fresh each day. Wait five days and give plain water, then begin five more days of Corid. It should be the only water the chickens drink during this treatment period.

That's to target any coccidia that have hatched since the first round, and then your chickens should all be resistant to that strain and probably will be safe unless they happen to encounter a new strain, there being nine all together that target chickens.
Do you think my cats could get infected?

Coccidia are species specific. Your cat cannot get infected from the coccidia that may be infesting your chickens. Those coccidia only live in chicken intestines.

However, cats have their own species of coccidia, and they get coccidiosis by eating cat feces infested with coccidia eggs. In cats, most coccidia are of the genus (group) called Isospora. Isospora felis and Isospora rivolta are the most common species of coccidia in cats.

Likewise, your chickens can't be infected with coccidia from your cat.

Back
Top Bottom