Please help dying hen!

Hello we have a hen Im assuming she’s about 8 years old she has not been eating or drinking. She seems very weak and keeps her self isolated from the flock usually in a corner I’ve noticed she has poop glued into her cloaca. How can I help her she seems like she is dying. How can I help her?!! Background info( she had in assuming wry neck before we started feeding her vitamins E tablets which I’m assuming cleared. Currently she is really lethargic? Does she worms? Is it from old age? If you know her here condition please tell me!
Try espom salt bath, lots of videos on YouTube. Helped mine.

Her legs weren’t paralyzed when I made this post. But yesterday she was completely paralyzed and unable to walk. Those day she would just sit most of time and not walk mabye she was paralyzed those times and it didn’t cross my mind. Sorry I just learned the symptoms of Mareks disease yesterday from Google I’m new to this.
Sorry to hear about your chicken having problems. We lost a chicken this morning about 3.5 years old, and she had Marek's disease. We have a very good vet in Petaluma who diagnosed her. We got her from Tractor Supply who didn't do a good job of vaccinating our chickens for Marek's disease, so about half our flock has/had Marek's disease. We got the other half of our flock from someplace elae and they are doing fine. Marek's disease can manifest itself by affecting the way a chicken walks, or gets in the abdomen/ovaries and cause cancer and/or water belly. But the chicken that died has limped from Marek's disease for at least a year. It would be odd that she suddenly got Marek's disease and seems to be dying. I think the only way to really know, is to take her to a vet and get a diagnosis. I know it's expensive and time consuming, but that is probably the only way to be sure.

Hello we have a hen Im assuming she’s about 8 years old she has not been eating or drinking. She seems very weak and keeps her self isolated from the flock usually in a corner I’ve noticed she has poop glued into her cloaca. How can I help her she seems like she is dying. How can I help her?!! Background info( she had in assuming wry neck before we started feeding her vitamins E tablets which I’m assuming cleared. Currently she is really lethargic? Does she worms? Is it from old age? If you know her here condition please tell me!
Oil of oregano 3 drops in 1 tbsp of olive oil 1 dose in beak and wait a day then do again. Mine had similar symptoms and she is alive and well. The poopy butt needs to be cleaned but I would wait after the essential oil treatment. make sure it’s the good stuff.

I grieve with you.

I lost a 7 year old bantam hen this past week. Faith was one of the first 2 bantam hens I added to my flock. She and her sister, Hope were both vaccinated which was a necessity since I have a history of Marek's disease in my flock.

Three years ago, she presented egg bound, got her through that but she never resumed laying and occasionally appeared as if she was internal laying but expelling the shell contents.

Then last month I noticed her losing weight and her wings drooping. I could feel a mass in her left abdomen and she was skin and bones. I suspected cancer as she stayed active and her appetite stayed good. I kept her comfortable. Hand fed her as long as she would eat. She passed away peacefully in her sleep last Friday. Her 'sister' Hope continues to thrive and rules the roost bar where she likes to hang out.

From my experience with Marek's disease I have my doubts if that was what was wrong with her. Most of my birds that died as an end result of Marek's Disease/secondary visceral tumors, died before they were 2 years. I've read that it's unusual for older birds to present with preliminary Marek's. Most have their initial infection around 9 weeks of age. Without a necropsy I would suspect your girl succumbed to some form of cancer. 8 is an admirable age for a hen to live and bespeaks the good care and love she got from you.

You did all you could for her. She is now waiting for you at the rainbow bridge-her spirit free.:hugs

Sorry to hear about your chicken having problems. We lost a chicken this morning about 3.5 years old, and she had Marek's disease. We have a very good vet in Petaluma who diagnosed her. We got her from Tractor Supply who didn't do a good job of vaccinating our chickens for Marek's disease, so about half our flock has/had Marek's disease. We got the other half of our flock from someplace elae and they are doing fine. Marek's disease can manifest itself by affecting the way a chicken walks, or gets in the abdomen/ovaries and cause cancer and/or water belly. But the chicken that died has limped from Marek's disease for at least a year. It would be odd that she suddenly got Marek's disease and seems to be dying. I think the only way to really know, is to take her to a vet and get a diagnosis. I know it's expensive and time consuming, but that is probably the only way to be sure.
I'm so sorry.

Been there, done that and wrote an article about it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-i-learned-to-deal-with-mareks-disease.76944/

You aren't alone. Hang in there.

Who’s your vet in Petaluma?

Back
Top Bottom