Please help...hen losing feathers

chic hens

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 2, 2012
Hi everyone,

Found a bunch of feathers in the coup this morning under my americauna. She is about 8 months old. She has not laid an egg in a week. I picked her up to look her over and feathers were falling out as I checked her over...legs, belly and back. I noticed the wind blowing some feathers off of her this morning as she walked around as well. It has been raining here for about 4 days...not sure if that may have caused this..???

I give them layer pellets and mash at night (rice, oatmeal, greens, fruit, olive oil or buttermilk).

I do have a maran who is looking kinda scruffy around her wings and also noticed my sex link's tail feathers are a bit ratty.

What should I be looking for?

Thank you for any help you can offer!!

New to this but I would run down the list I have heard and read about.... Lice/mites - check around the vent.
Molting?? - large loss of feathers and possible decrease in laying.
Other signs of illness or sickness?
Hopefully someone with more experience can help but, that might start you off.

If there are mites/lice I have heard that DE (diatometious earth) food grade is what you use. You powder them with it.
If there are no mites lice then I would assume that they are going through a moult. I hope this helps again, I am just passing on information that I have read on this site. Hope this helps.

Took a better look at her and found lots of missing feathers on her neck and lots of little spikes that look like new feathers coming in. I also saw one of my friends americaunas that looked a little more bare and she said she was molting so I am breathing better now.

With all the rain we were having here with that crazy tropical storm I wasn't able to put out DE but now that we are drying out I will dust everything to be extra safe.

Thank you agian!! Have a happy weekend!

Back
Top Bottom