PLEASE HELP - Humdity issues while incubating ducks!

JanalynnDotenFerguson

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2020
All of the schools shut down here. So what we’re going to be incubated in a classroom, and then our first ducklings on our homestead turned into us incubating them. We were thrilled, but there have been some issues. As far as I know, the teacher only turned them once per day. They came to us on day 8. We have been turning them every 8 hours and he gave us a Brinsea Octogon eco to incubate in. He told me that there was no humidity gauge, but to just fill up the 2 troughs, so I did. The temperature has been good, but I have been worried about the humidity so I bought a hygrometer today, as soon as I could - they are now on day 10. And the humidity was at 85%!😱. I dumped almost all the water, but I know dry is bad too. The vent is wide open. Ideas and help please! I am so worried I killed them all!

I would look for veins and check the Aircell, more than likely it will be small. 80-90 percent humidity for the first ten days doesn't sound too good, I would definitely drop it down to 35-40% humidity and candle in a few days to see if they are still developing. If you could post a picture of the eggs candling, that would help. Sorry!

I would look for veins and check the Aircell, more than likely it will be small. 80-90 percent humidity for the first ten days doesn't sound too good, I would definitely drop it down to 35-40% humidity and candle in a few days to see if they are still developing. If you could post a picture of the eggs candling, that would help. Sorry!
So, we just covered a window and candled them early. 10 of 12 had quarter to half dollar sized air sacks. That was better than I had expected. Most had moving babies. One had quite a crack, but a moving baby inside, (should I soften beeswax for that crack). And two were infertile and we removed. Thoughts?

Well thats a good sign ! I would put some beeswax over the cracked one, I'd leave them for a few days and candle them again and hopefully they will still have veins/movement. Keep us updated ! What kind of ducks are you hatching ?

Well thats a good sign ! I would put some beeswax over the cracked one, I'd leave them for a few days and candle them again and hopefully they will still have veins/movement. Keep us updated ! What kind of ducks are you hatching ?

So far, so good. The air cells seem a little small, but the babies are all developing and active at day 14. Thank you so much for the speedy advice. They are a barnyard mix, so we will be surprised. I will keep you posted.

So far, so good. The air cells seem a little small, but the babies are all developing and active at day 14. Thank you so much for the speedy advice. They are a barnyard mix, so we will be surprised. I will keep you posted.
Glad to hear! Keep us updated! Best of luck on your hatch!
Glad to hear! Keep us updated! Best of luck on your hatch!

Thank you! Quick question, wold you keep the humidity at 35-40% or increase it now?

Back
Top Bottom