Please help, I think my duck has a cold (especially in his eye)!

anonymous99

Songster
Jun 20, 2021
AF46D8DF-6F57-45D3-B9F9-315CD277F7F5.jpeg

I think my drake has a cold. He has his eye shut and there was something (not pus) coming out of it. I tried to clean it with some warm water. How can I help him? Currently not able to get outside right now bc it’s dark and I can’t get to the store for a while. Will this clear up on its own?

Last edited:
View attachment 3330595
I think my drake has a cold. He has his eye shut and there was something (not pus) coming out of it. I tried to clean it with some warm water. How can I help him? Currently not able to get outside right now bc it’s dark and I can’t get to the store for a while. Will this clear up on its own?
You can make a saline rinse for the eyes to clean your drakes eyes use a soft cloth to wipe once you have rinsed the eyes well.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323842#instructions
What other symptoms are you seeing? if he is sick you need to bring him inside so you can keep an eye on him make sure he is eating drinking and pooping.

You might bring you boy into the house, sleeping in a dogcrate if you have one. Use puppy pads rather than pine shavings in the bottom as that is far less messy. Until he is over his infection.

Wrap your drake in a towel so that you can then hold him against you while you clean the eye.

I use 1tsp per pint of previously boiled and cooled water. I do not boil for 20 minutes. Bringing 1 pint of water to a rolling boil and then let it cool naturally to room temperature.

Bathe the eye 4 times each day while it is closed and discharging. You can drop that back to twice daiky hen you see improvement. Best to clean the eye once each day when it is first aparently better -- but you will be chasing him round the garden to catch him by then.

I use cotton wool balls to clean eyes, but clean pieces of cloth -- washed in soapy water, rinsed, dried and ironed when dry -- can also be used.

That's one of my boys who had an eye infection back in the spring. He completely recovered within a week

Let us know how you get on

Attachments

• 20220629_075714.jpg
    20220629_075714.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 2
View attachment 3330595
Any update? How is he doing now?

Back
Top Bottom