Please help! Integrating Chickens 15 weeks and 6 weeks

Mostly mild weather here, and that’s what most of us have- coop is just a sleeping place and they free range during the day.

Something I’ve done with the two coops to integrate- set up the little’s coop with just enough of an opening that the younger ones can dart back in but the big birds can’t fit. Also search this site for the article A Cluttered Run.

Welcome to chickens 🙂

Mostly mild weather here, and that’s what most of us have- coop is just a sleeping place and they free range during the day.

Something I’ve done with the two coops to integrate- set up the little’s coop with just enough of an opening that the younger ones can dart back in but the big birds can’t fit. Also search this site for the article A Cluttered Run.

Welcome to chickens 🙂
Thank you so much. I think that was our thought when we started this. Honestly my chickens have a palace compared to the chickens being raised around us so we thought we had done good lol

It’s beautiful! I have similar and probably shouldn’t be adding six chicks 😂😂😂 You’ll see how it goes and what your flock needs- and a handy and helpful husband to support 🙂
Thank you! That's so sweet! I think we will extend it if we find it necessary. My older ones literally just sleep in it otherwise they hang out in the woods or pasture. I gave my pool up for them to have a coop lol so I really love them. I initially only wanted 10 total and had 6 but had to buy 6 more when I got there. Then I went back to exchange one that I was sure was a boy and couldn't leave that lone easter egger.

Last edited:
Can you post a pic of the outside cage you are keeping the littles in during the day?
20230411_070421.jpg 20230411_070421.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think I'm ready for them to free range. I'm thinking I am going to keep them outside for a couple of weeks in the day and see where they are size wise. But yes it may be an idea to just bite the bullet and be ready to intervene. May try that this weekend. It's 70s day and 50s here in MS so I do gave that on my side for sure.
What part of MS, if you don’t mind me asking? I’m in the Meridian area and I keep a lot of Rhode Island Reds. If you decide, down the road, you do need another rooster, I typically have a few roos on hand. Mine are young right now but by the time you would possibly need one, I might have just the right one.

What part of MS, if you don’t mind me asking? I’m in the Meridian area and I keep a lot of Rhode Island Reds. If you decide, down the road, you do need another rooster, I typically have a few roos on hand. Mine are young right now but by the time you would possibly need one, I might have just the right one.
I'm in senatobia. North Mississippi. But that would be great! I'm worried to try to get one later who may be mean. I am trying to get a friend to take mine until he matures so he can learn how to behave there at their house and then I'll take him back. They have other grown roosters who I hope can teach him some manners. He's a sweet boy and I love him and hope I don't have to rehome him. I think he just doesn't know how to act. His name is.Henny penny peckerhead. We thought he was a she and kept the name 20230331_180542.jpg

I'm in senatobia. North Mississippi. But that would be great! I'm worried to try to get one later who may be mean. I am trying to get a friend to take mine until he matures so he can learn how to behave there at their house and then I'll take him back. They have other grown roosters who I hope can teach him some manners. He's a sweet boy and I love him and hope I don't have to rehome him. I think he just doesn't know how to act
Yeah, they have to grow up and learn just like we do. A bit of advice though. You may want to be a little more “hands off” with him. The babied ones can really turn to jerks when the hormones hit around 5 to 6 months. They’re all different but that’s been my experience. I have 5 roosters in 5 different pens. I leave them alone and they leave me alone. No aggression from any of them.

Go
Yeah, they have to grow up and learn just like we do. A bit of advice though. You may want to be a little more “hands off” with him. The babied ones can really turn to jerks when the hormones hit around 5 to 6 months. They’re all different but that’s been my experience. I have 5 roosters in 5 different pens. I leave them alone and they leave me alone. No aggression from any of them.
Good advice. I have left him alone since being outside. I pick him up once a week to make him submit to me. When he was inside he was a snuggled though and by far the funniest of the group. I am having him a smaller separation coop built for separation in case

Back
Top Bottom