PLease help me figure this out .........she was my favorite

Miz Mary

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Pacific NW
Came home about 9 pm , and checked all chickens as usual ..locked them in for the night . ( they free range during the day ) . I saw this ....
IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

My FAVORITE BLUE hen , ( the one in my avatar ) with her wing over my little polish ...Betty Blue usually is perched on the perch on the left of the garbage can ...... I thought , "oh cute ... the polish probably lost her pals so Betty Blue comforted her ! "

The next morning , Betty Blue was on the ground, dead..... with her wing still out ...... she was about 5 months , has 3 sisters from her clutch ...and ALL were fine !! Absolutly NO warning signs of sickness ...she was out running around, eating ..... why is it always the FAVORITE hen ?! She was a beautiful blue color .... so sad !!!
hit.gif

Any idea what could have happened ?? Maybe the Polish was on the can , the Blue had a heart attack and fell onto the Polish ...the Polish too scared to move ????
Would the Polish have crawled under the Blue ?? ( she can hardly see, to be able to get under that wing so perfectly ?! )
I feel so stupid, horrible and embarrassed that I never thought to see if Betty Blue was hurt ( or dead ) when I saw this .... I thought how cute it was , and that I needed pictures ..............

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss. Don't beat yourself up. She may have been alive in this picture. I've seen some of ours wrapping others in their wing before.

hit.gif

I am so sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how you must have felt when you discovered her this morning. Don't know if this will help, but how wonderful that your thoughts of her in her last night were of a sweet, loving chicken. No regrets for you in this area. As to why she died....maybe a stroke or heart attack? She was a beautiful bird. Hugs to you.

hugs.gif
Poor Baby, Her head doesn't look real droopy in the close up pic, and since she was on the edge, I would guess she was still awake seems it would have beed difficult for her to stay on if not. At least she went to sleep hugging a buddy and not alone. I'm sorry

I think she had a heart attack or stroke and fell onto the polish - because it looks like Blue is barely on the can - about to fall off the side.

Quote:
Thats what I was thinking too ....... when I found her in the am , she was on the ground on the left side of the can , like she fell off the can ........

I am so very sorry for your loss. As to why.. since she wasn't showing signs before I would think something like a heart attack or a stroke. I think she's alive in this picture.. I can't imagine the likelihood of her falling and landing perfectly up against the polish with her wing like that. I've seen lots of chickens drape a wing over a friend for warmth/comfort.

I know how hard it is to lose one, especially a favorite.
hugs.gif

That's sad---I'm so sorry.
hit.gif
I have a hen that looks like your Betty----her name is Bonnie Blue!! I worry about my Bonnie----she doesn't seem very sociable lately. I sold some roos earlier in the year, and one was a roo I bought with her and she really did like him. Now I'm wishing I would have kept him (could she still miss the roo?). Don't feel like you did something wrong-----things happen for strange reasons and I'm sure you gave Betty a great life. Try to remember her a happily pecking away in the yard.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom