Please HELP me-Honey in trouble

suburbchick

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2015
I went out and let the girls out of coop (4 bantams (2 -2 years old and 1- 1 year olds all girls) and honey didn't come out. I thought she was being lazy so I picked her up and put her outside with the others but she just laid there. I dipped her beak in water and tried to get her to eat...even tried her favorite sunflower hearts to no avail. Right now, she is laying on my son wrapped up in a blanket with her eyes closed. What is wrong? She was completely fine yesterday. We live in New England so she made it through winter just fine. I did let them free range in yard yesterday as a lot of the snow had melted but the others are all fine. Please help. Any ideas? Could it be a trapped egg as she had been laying regularly? How do I get it out? HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

Thank you SO MUCH for trying to help us. I googled it and tried with a glove and lubrication and I didn't feel anything. She does have a tad of poop on her vent that looks wet so my gut feeling is she is going to the bathroom. Any other ideas? My son is holding her in a blanket and her eyes are closed. She is not even quite 1 years old yet and has always been so healthy. She was fine yesterday.....We are all in distress right now.

Now I am second guessing myself if I felt anything. This morning was the first time I have ever checked for an egg in a sick hen/pullet. I put my finger in (gloved and well lubricated) and went straight back. I didn't feel anything but what if I didn't do it right.

I went back a couple inches and nothing and there was wet poop when I took my finger out. Any other suggestions of what is wrong? My son just turned 10 and it is his chicken so the situation is worse. Argh

I put her in the warm bath and started rubbing her abdomen. I felt the egg. She was egg bound. She started flapping her wings and I was excited the egg was coming out. However, instead....she went to heaven. We are all pretty devastated right now. I told my son that at least he held her close and she got to feel his love before she went to heaven. So sad right now

I put her in the warm bath and started rubbing her abdomen. I felt the egg. She was egg bound. She started flapping her wings and I was excited the egg was coming out. However, instead....she went to heaven. We are all pretty devastated right now. I told my son that at least he held her close and she got to feel his love before she went to heaven. So sad right now

I'm so sorry to hear this, it is rough losing a member of your flock. I'm not sure what could have been wrong if she wasn't egg bound... maybe she got into something that she shouldn't have? Do they free range? Do you have any chemicals or rat poison or anything around she could have gotten into? I would keep a close eye on the flock to make sure this isn't an illness that could be transferred.. I would also offer some diatomaceous earth for them to dust bathe in as it helps with any mites and such just to boost them a little. Again sorry this has happend

Back
Top Bottom