Please help me identify what's wrong with this poo

Feathertot

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2022
I went to lock up my coop tonight and saw this in the run. I didn't think it looked normal, but I'm not sure. One of my sapphire gems has been looking thinner lately (she is about 5 months), but still eats and drinks and has a nice red color to her comb. I thought her crop was getting impacted so I massaged it about a week ago and it feels normal now. And honestly, this poo could be from any of my 6 chickens, but I'm hoping it's nothing too serious, or that its my sapphire gem and something worse causing her to lose weight. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• 20221117_232446.jpg
    20221117_232446.jpg
    644.6 KB · Views: 5
What are you feeding your chickens? Do they have poultry grit available in a separate container? Do they free range? Crops should fill up during the day, feeling firm in evening at roost time. Then in early morning they should be mostly empty. If not, there may be a crop issue. Poops can vary a lot, so I would watch them, but also make sure they are active and eating normally.

I went to lock up my coop tonight and saw this in the run. I didn't think it looked normal, but I'm not sure. One of my sapphire gems has been looking thinner lately (she is about 5 months), but still eats and drinks and has a nice red color to her comb. I thought her crop was getting impacted so I massaged it about a week ago and it feels normal now. And honestly, this poo could be from any of my 6 chickens, but I'm hoping it's nothing too serious, or that its my sapphire gem and something worse causing her to lose weight. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
In addition to feeding granite grit free choice, you might consider deworming.

What are you feeding your chickens? Do they have poultry grit available in a separate container? Do they free range? Crops should fill up during the day, feeling firm in evening at roost time. Then in early morning they should be mostly empty. If not, there may be a crop issue. Poops can vary a lot, so I would watch them, but also make sure they are active and eating normally.
They free range for part of the day and they get most of their nutrition from layer feed. They have a separate bowl for grit and oyster shell and fresh water everyday. I do scratch grain and treats occasionally, but not alot. I felt the crops this morning and they all seemed normal. My chickens are weird though, they don't like going in the coop at night, I have to physically put them in every night and they don't roost, they like to huddle in 1 corner together. How do you deworm them? Also thanks for your help!

How large is your coop? If it is rather large and they have light and room to run around during the day, you can make them stay in there 24/7 for a week to make sure they know where they are supposed to sleep at night. Also you can place them on the roost at dark, for a few nights, so they will get used to roosting. Most young chicks will practice roosting when they are able to jump up.
To worm your chickens you can get a 3 ml syringe without the needle, and use something like Valbazen 1/2 ml orally once and again in 10 days, or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer 0.25 ml per pound given for 5 consecutive days. Shake either of those wormers well between drawing up doses.

Back
Top Bottom