Please help me! My chicken has a gash on its neck and a few other wounds.It’s not an adult chicken yet. And I can’t take him to the vet what do I do?!

Chickens4572

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2022
image.jpg

I'd put some non-pain aide Neosporin on the wounds to keep the flies off and to keep it supple. Apply generously for a week or two and your little guy should be fine.
I'm sorry he got hurt and made you worry but he looks OK. Good job posting photo.
*** important it is the standard Neosporin w/o the pain aide as the pain aid can be harmful to your chook.

Separate the bird from the flock, preferably in a wire cage or dog kennel that you can leave in the coop near the other birds to maintain this individuals pecking order (so they won't have to fight to get their pecking order back). Rinse the wound with saline if you have it, or water. If the wound is actively bleeding (not just bloody), sprinkle the wound with styptic powder (can be bought at the feed store or at your local druggist, usually in the men's shaving aisle.). If the wound is not actively bleeding, you can skip the styptic powder and spray the wound with blu-kote in any color EXCEPT red (can be bought at any feed store of merit). Keep the squirt in isolation (in the coop is far preferred) for a couple days until the wound scabs and isn't oozing.
Birds are incredibly resilient and head and neck wounds heal remarkably well without a ton of intervention. Trick is keeping the wound away from other birds that cannot resist the opportunity to pick at anything that is RED and maintain the pecking order of the injured bird.

I'd put some non-pain aide Neosporin on the wounds to keep the flies off and to keep it supple. Apply generously for a week or two and your little guy should be fine.
I'm sorry he got hurt and made you worry but he looks OK. Good job posting photo.
Thank you,but the thing is I don’t really have sprays and other things for wounds since my parents always told me to leave them be and just take them out of there coop.Hopefully I can ask my parents to take me to the store.

Separate the bird from the flock, preferably in a wire cage or dog kennel that you can leave in the coop near the other birds to maintain this individuals pecking order (so they won't have to fight to get their pecking order back). Rinse the wound with saline if you have it, or water. If the wound is actively bleeding (not just bloody), sprinkle the wound with styptic powder (can be bought at the feed store or at your local druggist, usually in the men's shaving aisle.). If the wound is not actively bleeding, you can skip the styptic powder and spray the wound with blu-kote in any color EXCEPT red (can be bought at any feed store of merit). Keep the squirt in isolation (in the coop is far preferred) for a couple days until the wound scabs and isn't oozing.
Birds are incredibly resilient and head and neck wounds heal remarkably well without a ton of intervention. Trick is keeping the wound away from other birds that cannot resist the opportunity to pick at anything that is RED and maintain the pecking order of the injured bird.
Thanks a lot,but like I saw earlier to someone else I don’t have those things in my house since my parents don’t want to buy them.So could I just wash it and leave it be?

Part of being a good caretaker is making do with what you have at hand to resolve emergencies. If your folks cannot be swayed to purchase first aid items for your birds, then clean the wound, separate the injured bird from the flock, and return the bird to the flock as soon as possible after a scab has formed and bleeding and oozing has ceased. If the time that the bird is separated AND out of sight of the flock is over 2 days, then you'll need to reintroduce the bird to the flock and pecking order fights will take place so that the bird can reestablish a place in the pecking order. Birds forget their 'best buddies' in a matter of days.

Thank you,but the thing is I don’t really have sprays and other things for wounds since my parents always told me to leave them be and just take them out of there coop.Hopefully I can ask my parents to take me to the store.
The Neosporin should be found in your medicine cabinet. Ask your folks if they have. Again, make sure it does not have the pain aide. It is sold in generic off brands too.
You can dona saline rinse but looks pretty clean.
I was told to stay away from the bluekot because you don't want to dry the skin. The main thing is to keep the flies off so you don't get flystrike.
I'd keep with the flock unless there is picking and then yes, a look don't touch separation. ♡

Neosporin is made for humans. Ask your mom if she has some.

*** important it is the standard Neosporin w/o the pain aide as the pain aid can be harmful to your chook.
You can tell this poor thing has really been picked on by other chickens. If you don't keep it separated from the others, they will end up killing it. Looks like its feathers have been plucked too. Sad!

Back
Top Bottom