Please help me out decoding candling eggs.

Vadgo

Chirping
11 Years
Mar 31, 2009
I know there are pictures to look at, but I'm not sure exactly what day the eggs are. I think day 12, but could be anywhere from day 11 to day 16. I checked three days ago, three out of the 4 eggs were moving, but I left all four under her in case that 4th one was a few days younger.

Today I checked, and I see that the eggs have developed more, even the 4th one that had no movement a few days ago, but none of them are moving now. But I've never done this before, pictures are nice, but not sure if what I see is the same. Could be full of mold and I can't tell the difference. What do embryos that are dead look like? What should I see if they are dead in two or three days?
Will they smell? After how long?

I know I started keeping track of her sitting 11 days ago, and I think the eggs look like around that age. Should the dark be stuck to one side like it is on one egg? Should it be free floating? Should there be lots of movement? All of them seem to have the air pocket in the end, but one of them looks like solid black stuck to one side of the egg, and doesn't move when rotating the egg or after staring at it for a couple of minutes.

I know these are probably stupid questions and maybe I should be able to look at the pics posted here and know. But I've done that, and still not sure.

Thanks.

not a stupid question at all. I have noticed that quitters will have all the veining dry up, so you will only see a non moving blob, except that the blob is more free moving when the egg is moved quickly. They will begin to smell, but I'm not sure how long it takes before they start to smell. Broody's are usually pretty good about tossing out the quitters, I say leave your trust in her. Good Luck!

Last edited:
the stuck one is probly a dud, but when the start to fill the shell they do not move as much, are the eggs in a incubator or a hen? if the egg doesn't 'glow' or have a red ring or as you said a black spot stuck to one side leave it,

THanks for your replies.

Kelsey - So when a broody tosses out the quitters, are the eggs pushed completely out from under her? Last night the one that I think is a dud was not under her completely, but it was still mostly covered by her feathers behind her.
I'll take a look in a couple of days again and see if there seems to be more progress. The one that was stuck to the side, it seemed all solid, and I couldn't really see veining.

Buck Creek - it's a first time broody sitting on the eggs. What do you mean by red ring?

Thanks

a red ring is when the egg starts growing and dies, you get a thin red line that go's around on the outside of the shell, some times it doesn't go all the way around and its not an even ring, when you see it for the first time you will understand

Back
Top Bottom